Bruins use 3rd-period surge to down IslandersJan 26, 2013 - 5:11 AM
Shawn Thornton and Gregory Campbell also scored for the Bruins, who improved to 3-0-1 this season and recovered from an overtime loss to the Rangers on Wednesday.
"It's really tough to gain back points that you give away early in the season, especially with the shortened season," Campbell said. "Every team's so good nowadays, it's a point or two that separate teams from making the playoffs or not."
Tuukka Rask made 24 stops to remain unbeaten in regulation in the early going.
Keith Aucoin potted both goals for the Islanders, who couldn't sustain momentum from a 7-4 win in Toronto on Thursday.
Making his first start since Dec. 3, 2011 thanks to a continually bothersome groin issue, Rick DiPietro allowed four goals on 27 shots.
"I felt good," DiPietro remarked. "I was excited. I think I hate losing more than I like winning. This is not the result I was looking for."
Chara's wrister -- his first goal of the season -- from the left point put the Bruins up 3-2 at the 7:07 mark of the third period.
Bergeron added insurance, when he beat DiPietro on the backhand from a breakaway with 6:27 to play for a two-goal margin.
New York went with an extra attacker in the final two minutes, but the Bruins kept play in their end of the ice, coming close to an empty-net score on several occasions.
Thornton knocked a loose puck home with 4:52 played in the opening period, but Aucoin countered at 11:13 on a redirection of a Colin McDonald pass.
Aucoin put the Islanders up just prior to the midway point of regulation, only to see the Bruins strike back on Campbell's first of the year almost four minutes later.
Bruins head coach Claude Julien won his 231st game with Boston, tying Don Cherry for third on the all-time franchise list ... DiPietro is a Boston-area native, who played one season (1999-2000) for Boston University before jumping to the NHL when the Isles picked him first overall ... Aucoin registered the first two-goal game of his career.
- NEW YORK: 2
Jan 25 9:36 PM
- Boston Goal - Patrice Bergeron, from Brad Marchand and Dougie Hamilton at 13:33.
Islanders 2, Bruins 4 3rd - 6:27Jan 25 9:26 PM
- Boston Goal - Zdeno Chara, at 7:07.
Islanders 2, Bruins 3 3rd - 12:53Jan 25 9:12 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 25 8:44 PM
- Boston Goal - Gregory Campbell, at 13:42.
Islanders 2, Bruins 2 2nd - 6:18Jan 25 8:35 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Keith Aucoin, at 9:50.
Islanders 2, Bruins 1 2nd - 10:10Jan 25 8:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Jan 25 7:51 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Keith Aucoin, at 11:13.
Islanders 1, Bruins 1 1st - 8:47Jan 25 7:29 PM
- Boston Goal - Shawn Thornton, at 4:52.
Islanders 0, Bruins 1 1st - 15:08Jan 25 7:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 25 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6