Read nets hat trick as Flyers crush PanthersJan 27, 2013 - 5:31 AM
Read recorded his first career hat trick and McGinn lit the lamp for the first time as an NHLer, helping the visiting Philadelphia Flyers pound the Florida Panthers, 7-1.
McGinn, retread Ruslan Fedotenko and newcomer Luke Schenn each had a goal and one assist for the Flyers, who have won two in a row after opening the shortened season with three straight regulation losses.
Philadelphia's scoring barrage Saturday night eclipsed its goal total through the first four games (5).
"To have an outbreak like that is a great thing for the team. We need to carry it over now," McGinn said.
Ilya Bryzgalov played well between the pipes, making 30 saves. The lone Florida shot that got past him belonged to Peter Mueller, who scored on a breakaway late in the second period.
Jose Theodore started in net for the Panthers, but was pulled after allowing three goals on nine first-period shots. Scott Clemmensen didn't fare any better over the final 40 minutes as he was beaten four times on 17 shots.
Florida head coach Kevin Dineen was blunt in his assessment of the game.
"We got our tails handed to us in every way," he said.
Florida has been outscored 18-3 while losing four straight.
The Flyers raced out to a 3-0 lead in the first period. After Wayne Simmonds was credited with the game's first goal on a two-man advantage, Read beat Theodore on the short side with a wrister from the left circle. Read led all rookies in goals last season with 24.
McGinn, playing in his third NHL game, skated through the slot and redirected Braydon Coburn's feed from the left boards.
The teams combined for three goals in the middle stanza, with all being scored in a 1:13 span. Read potted his second at 18:34, then Mueller put the Panthers on the board 36 seconds later. Schenn's blast from the right point made its way through traffic, restoring the Flyers four-goal lead with 13 seconds remaining.
Read completed the trifecta on the power play 54 seconds into the third period. Fedotenko lit the lamp at the 8-minute mark.
Read became the second Flyer to register a hat trick against the Panthers, joining Eric Lindros. Lindros accomplished the feat on March 18, 1995 ... McGinn also picked up his first career assist ... The Flyers scored outside of the second period of a game for the first time this season ... Philadelphia forward Danny Briere made his season debut. He had suffered a wrist injury while playing in Germany during the lockout ... Panthers center Quinton Howden made his NHL debut ... The Flyers posted their fifth consecutive road win over the Panthers.
- PHILADELPHIA: 7
Jan 26 10:06 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Ruslan Fedotenko, from Maxime Talbot at 8:00.
Flyers 7, Panthers 1 3rd - 12:00Jan 26 9:44 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Matt Read (3), at :54.
Flyers 6, Panthers 1 3rd - 19:06Jan 26 9:32 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 5
End of 2nd
Jan 26 9:11 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Luke Schenn, at 19:47.
Flyers 5, Panthers 1 2nd - 0:13Jan 26 9:10 PM
- Florida Goal - Peter Mueller, at 19:10.
Flyers 4, Panthers 1 2nd - 0:50Jan 26 9:08 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (2), from Braydon Coburn at 18:34.
Flyers 4, Panthers 0 2nd - 1:26Jan 26 9:07 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
End of 1st
Jan 26 8:12 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Tye McGinn, at 18:50.
Flyers 3, Panthers 0 1st - 1:10Jan 26 8:10 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read, at 7:12.
Flyers 2, Panthers 0 1st - 12:48Jan 26 7:49 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Kimmo Timonen, at 3:09.
Flyers 1, Panthers 0 1st - 16:51Jan 26 7:44 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 26 7:39 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26