Leafs down Sabres in OTJan 30, 2013 - 4:56 AM
Frattin also scored in regulation, while Jay McClement and Cody Franson added goals for Toronto, which snapped a two-game slide. James Reimer stopped 29 shots in the victory.
Jason Pominville, Andrej Sekera and Mikhail Grigorenko supplied the offense for the Sabres, who have dropped four straight after winning their first two games of the season.
Ryan Miller allowed all four goals on 20 shots in defeat.
"I thought we dominated the possession game for most of the night," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "We had a lot of great looks and I thought we really skated well."
The Sabres entered the third period trailing, 3-2, but tied the game 7:10 into the frame as Grigorenko grabbed a rebound in the slot and slid a backhander through the legs of Reimer for his first career goal.
The remainder of the third period saw the teams go back-and-forth on the ice, but neither team could record the go-ahead goal, forcing overtime.
It seemed as though the game would go to a shootout as time was winding down in the extra period until Frattin grabbed an outlet pass near the left boards just inside the blue line and cruised towards the net before slipping a shot inside the near post for the deciding tally.
Toronto struck first at the 9:25 mark of the opening period when Nazem Kadri's shot from the high slot bounced off the crossbar before McClement stuffed the rebound home from in front.
But the Sabres were able to tie the game with 5:32 left in the frame while on the power play with Pominville's wrister from the left circle that went through a crowd and snuck inside the far post.
Buffalo then went on top just 2:28 into the second period after Sekera received a pass in front of the net and lifted a backhander over the glove of Reimer.
The Maple Leafs, however, knotted the score just 1:12 later when Frattin cleaned up a Franson rebound, and then regained the lead at the 6:21 mark of the second period with Franson's snap shot from the right point.
Buffalo's Steve Ott was denied on a breakaway with a little over three minutes left in the second period to keep it a 3-2 game heading into the third.
Toronto had lost three straight and 10 of its last 11 games in Buffalo entering the contest ... The Maple Leafs went 0-for-2 on the power play ... Buffalo scored on its lone power play of the game ... Marcus Foligno had two assists for the Sabres.
- TORONTO: 4
Final - OT
Jan 29 9:47 PM
- Toronto Goal - Matt Frattin, at 4:59.
Maple Leafs 4, Sabres 3 OT - 0:01Jan 29 9:46 PM
- TORONTO: 3
End of Regulation
Jan 29 9:36 PM
- Christian Ehrhoff slap shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 3, Sabres 3 3rd - 12:37Jan 29 9:14 PM
- Mike Weber slap shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 3, Sabres 2 3rd - 12:51Jan 29 9:13 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jochen Hecht, at 7:10.
Maple Leafs 3, Sabres 3 3rd - 12:50Jan 29 9:13 PM
- TORONTO: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 29 8:47 PM
- Tyler Ennis wrist shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 3, Sabres 2 2nd - 7:07Jan 29 8:32 PM
- Cody Franson shot on Ryan Miller.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 2 2nd - 16:26Jan 29 8:31 PM
- Toronto Goal - Cody Franson, at 6:21.
Maple Leafs 3, Sabres 2 2nd - 13:39Jan 29 8:18 PM
- Toronto Goal - Matt Frattin (2), at 3:40.
Maple Leafs 2, Sabres 2 2nd - 16:20Jan 29 8:13 PM
- TORONTO: 1
2nd Period - 17:32
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 2 2nd - 17:32Jan 29 8:10 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 1st
Jan 29 7:47 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal at 14:28.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 1 1st - 5:32Jan 29 7:34 PM
- Jochen Hecht backhand shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 0 1st - 7:56Jan 29 7:29 PM
- Nazem Kadri wrist shot on Ryan Miller.
Maple Leafs 0, Sabres 0 1st - 10:37Jan 29 7:27 PM
- Phil Kessel wrist shot on Ryan Miller.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 0 1st - 10:10Jan 29 7:23 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 10:37
Maple Leafs 0, Sabres 0 1st - 10:37Jan 29 7:22 PM
- Toronto Goal - Jay McClement, at 9:25.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 0 1st - 10:35Jan 29 7:22 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 29 7:07 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13