Canadiens edge JetsJan 30, 2013 - 4:12 AM
Brendan Gallagher had a goal and an assist while Rene Bourque and Erik Cole also scored for the Canadiens, who have won four straight. Carey Price gave up three goals on 21 shots in the win.
Olli Jokinen had a goal and an assist while Blake Wheeler and Nik Antropov also lit the lamp for the Jets, who had a three-game winning streak stopped. Ondrej Pavelec gave up all four goals on 26 shots in the loss.
"We made too many mistakes tonight," said Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel. "Our power play should have been better than it was tonight. Our penalty kill didn't help us either. Tough game we had here tonight."
With the game tied in the third, Montreal was skating on the power play and the team took the lead when Plekanec's slap-pass from the top of the right circle hit off of Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey and went in at the 5:31 mark of the frame.
"Our power play is doing pretty good right now," said Plekanec. "Two or three years ago we were first in the league and it's pretty much as it is now. We have some guys here that can really move the puck and help the power play really click. I was fortunate that my shot went off a skate and it proved to be the winner."
From there, Price did the rest of the work as he made 11 saves in the frame to help the team hold on for the win.
Montreal got the first two goals of the game as Bourque's one-timer from the right point went in at the 8:04 mark of the first period for a power-play goal, and Gallagher grabbed the puck in the neutral zone and from the right wing was able to beat Pavelec with a quick wrister over the glove with 5:38 to play in the first.
The Jets got one back less than two minutes later when Wheeler's slap shot from the right circle went in while the team was on the power play.
Winnipeg scored the next two goals of the game to take the lead.
Antropov faked a shot from the right circle and threw it over to the left circle where Bryan Little put a one-timer on net. Price made the stop, but the rebound kicked over to the right and Antropov slammed it home at the 3:32 mark of the second.
It was a 3-2 game when Evander Kane skated into the Montreal end down the left wing and cut over to the right, leaving a drop pass for Jokinen, who fired a wrister from the left circle that beat Price with 8:12 left in the second.
The Habs, though, tied it just over three minutes later when Cole jammed it in off a scrum from the right.
Montreal plays in Ottawa on Wednesday ... Winnipeg plays in Florida on Thursday ... Montreal took three of four from Winnipeg last season ... Montreal went 2-for-5 on the power play, while Winnipeg was 1-for-6.
- WINNIPEG: 3
Jan 29 10:16 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Tomas Plekanec (3), at 5:31.
Jets 3, Canadiens 4 3rd - 14:29Jan 29 9:43 PM
- WINNIPEG: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 29 9:16 PM
- Montreal Goal - Erik Cole, at 15:08.
Jets 3, Canadiens 3 2nd - 4:52Jan 29 9:07 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Olli Jokinen, from Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien at 11:48.
Jets 3, Canadiens 2 2nd - 8:12Jan 29 9:00 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Nik Antropov, from Bryan Little at 3:32.
Jets 2, Canadiens 2 2nd - 16:28Jan 29 8:42 PM
- WINNIPEG: 1
End of 1st
Jan 29 8:19 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Blake Wheeler (3), at 16:10.
Jets 1, Canadiens 2 1st - 3:50Jan 29 8:13 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brendan Gallagher (2), from Alex Galchenyuk and Brandon Prust at 14:22.
Jets 0, Canadiens 2 1st - 5:38Jan 29 8:05 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Rene Bourque, at 8:04.
Jets 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 11:56Jan 29 7:54 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 29 7:41 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Galchenyuk, Pacioretty score twice; Canadiens beat Lightning Apr 10
- Jacques Demers in stable condition 2 days after stroke Apr 8
- Lightning-Canadiens Preview Apr 8
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8