Offensive eruption leads streaking Lightning past JetsFeb 2, 2013 - 5:03 AM
Steven Stamkos and Vincent Lecavalier each tallied a goal and two assists, while Teddy Purcell and Benoit Pouliot added a goal and an assist apiece for the Lightning, who have won five straight and improved to 5-0 at home.
"Another good game for our team," Conacher remarked. "It's just one those games where we had the lead and our power play was outstanding tonight and our weapons came out to play."
Ryan Malone and Nate Thompson also lit the lamp for Tampa Bay, and Anders Lindback added an assist while notching 26 saves in the victory.
Tobias Enstrom and Paul Postma each registered a goal and two assists, while Andrew Ladd contributed a goal and an assist for the Jets, who have dropped three straight.
Ondrej Pavelec allowed five goals on just 14 shots for Winnipeg before being removed midway through the second period in favor of Al Montoya, who gave up three goals on 11 shots in the setback.
Tampa Bay broke out for a trio of goals in the first and second periods to build a comfortable 6-0 edge after 40 minutes.
All three first-period goals came on the power play, with Conacher opening the scoring with a weak wrister from the left point that slipped under Pavelec's pads at the 7:57 mark.
After Chris Thorburn was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct at the 12:11 mark for a check from behind on Sami Salo, the Lightning were able to capitalize on a pair of 5-on-3's to triple their advantage.
A delay of game penalty against Ron Hainsey less than a minute later set up the first two-man advantage before Stamkos one-timed a shot from the left circle that snuck past Pavelec for a 2-0 edge.
Mark Stuart's cross-checking penalty at the 16:04 mark resulted in another 5- on-3 and Lecavalier was able to light the lamp with a one-timer from the right circle to make it 3-0 with just over three minutes left in the frame.
Tampa Bay tacked on three more in the second to break the game open, with Conacher starting another flurry when he tipped-in an Eric Brewer shot from the point just 26 seconds into the period.
Thompson's wrister from outside the right circle at the 4:43 mark chased Pavelec from the contest, but his replacement fared no better, as Montoya watched the first shot he faced sail past him off the stick of Purcell to make it 6-0 under six minutes into the second.
Winnipeg tallied a pair of goals just over a minute apart in the third to pull within four, but Malone answered at the 8:46 mark to make it 7-2.
Ladd's power-play goal near the midpoint of the frame again brought the visitors within four, but they would get no closer, as Pouliot netted his second goal of the season at the 18:35 mark to account for the final margin.
"Obviously the game got out of hand," Winnipeg coach Claude Noel said. "We're going to move forward and try to take some positives out of this thing. I'm not going to dwell on that type of game."
The Lightning improved to 9-0-2 in their last 11 at home versus the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise ... Enstrom has a point in six straight games for Winnipeg ... Stamkos has a point in all seven games this season ... Tampa Bay went 3-for-5 on the power play, while Winnipeg finished 2-for-4.
- WINNIPEG: 3
TAMPA BAY: 8
Feb 1 10:14 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Benoit Pouliot (2), from Tom Pyatt and Victor Hedman at 18:35.
Jets 3, Lightning 8 3rd - 1:25Feb 1 10:10 PM
- Matt Carle wrist shot on Al Montoya.
Jets 3, Lightning 7 3rd - 4:11Feb 1 10:03 PM
- Blake Wheeler backhand shot on Anders Lindback.
Jets 0, Lightning 6 2nd - 8:20Feb 1 10:01 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Andrew Ladd (3), from Paul Postma and Tobias Enstrom at 9:49.
Jets 3, Lightning 7 3rd - 10:11Feb 1 9:50 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Malone (4), from Vincent Lecavalier and Cory Conacher at 8:46.
Jets 2, Lightning 7 3rd - 11:14Feb 1 9:47 PM
- Andrew Ladd shot blocked by Eric Brewer.
Jets 2, Lightning 6 3rd - 12:59Feb 1 9:46 PM
- Paul Postma wrist shot on Anders Lindback.
Jets 1, Lightning 6 3rd - 13:25Feb 1 9:45 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Paul Postma, at 6:35.
Jets 2, Lightning 6 3rd - 13:25Feb 1 9:44 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Tobias Enstrom (2), at 5:34.
Jets 1, Lightning 6 3rd - 14:26Feb 1 9:41 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
TAMPA BAY: 6
End of 2nd
Feb 1 9:15 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (2), from Steven Stamkos at 5:43.
Jets 0, Lightning 6 2nd - 14:17Feb 1 8:50 PM
- Alexander Burmistrov wrist shot on Anders Lindback.
Jets 0, Lightning 5 2nd - 15:06Feb 1 8:47 PM
- Nate Thompson shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Jets 0, Lightning 4 2nd - 15:17Feb 1 8:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Nate Thompson, at 4:43.
Jets 0, Lightning 5 2nd - 15:17Feb 1 8:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Cory Conacher (5), at :26.
Jets 0, Lightning 4 2nd - 19:34Feb 1 8:40 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 1st
Feb 1 8:20 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (4), from Martin St. Louis and Steven Stamkos at 16:55.
Jets 0, Lightning 3 1st - 3:05Feb 1 8:13 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Steven Stamkos (5), at 14:11.
Jets 0, Lightning 2 1st - 5:49Feb 1 8:06 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Matt Carle (2), at 7:57.
Jets 0, Lightning 1 1st - 12:03Feb 1 7:49 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 1 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17