Bourque, Rask get Bruins past LeafsFeb 3, 2013 - 8:50 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Tuukka Rask made 21 saves for his 12th career shutout as the Boston Bruins edged the Toronto Maple Leafs, 1-0, at Air Canada Centre.
Chris Bourque, the son of Bruins legendary defenseman Ray Bourque, potted the lone goal in the first period.
"I knew I had the capability of doing it, but it's a matter of going out there and getting it done," Bourque said.
Boston tightened things up defensively Saturday night after allowing seven goals in Thursday's loss to Buffalo, the club's first in regulation this season.
James Reimer recorded 33 saves in the Maple Leafs' seventh straight loss to the Bruins, who killed off two late power plays.
AHL call-up Matt Frattin used his speed to draw an interference penalty on Boston defenseman Dennis Seidenberg with 8:36 remaining. Tyler Seguin, drafted with the No. 2 overall pick Boston acquired in the trade that sent Phil Kessel to Toronto, went off for slashing with 2:25 to go.
"We didn't do enough of the things that we're capable of to establish a strong home game and 60 minutes," said Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle.
Bourque scored his second career NHL goal 8:54 into the game. Rich Peverley held the puck along the right-wing boards before chipping it ahead to Chris Kelly, whose backhand feed through the crease was tapped in by Bourque.
Each team had a goal waved off for making contact with the goalie ... Bourque, the third player taken in the second round of the 2004 draft, scored his first goal on Dec. 30, 2008 as a member of the Washington Capitals ... Boston forward Jamie Tardif, 28, made his NHL debut ... Toronto forward Tyler Bozak played in his 200th career game ... Forward Mikhail Grabovski appeared in his 300th game with the Maple Leafs.
- BOSTON: 1
Feb 2 9:53 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 2 8:58 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 1st
Feb 2 7:57 PM
- Boston Goal - Chris Bourque, at 8:53.
Bruins 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 11:07Feb 2 7:37 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 2 7:20 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12