Penguins do enough to beat IslandersFeb 6, 2013 - 7:18 AM
James Neal and Simon Despres also scored for the Penguins, who won their fourth in a row and fifth in their last six.
"We did a pretty good job," Sidney Crosby said. "When we had to kind of shut things down, we made some big blocks, big kills."
Marc-Andre Fleury made 32 stops for the victory.
Michael Grabner and Brad Boyes scored in a 35-second span for the Islanders, who have lost two straight and four of six.
"We have to get shots on the net," captain Mark Streit said.
Evgeni Nabokov allowed three goals on 25 shots in defeat.
Sutter put the visitors ahead 3-0 less than two minutes into the third, but the Islanders finally hit the scoreboard at 3:14 on a Grabner tally, then Boyes made it a one-goal game on a strike 35 seconds later.
Pittsburgh snapped to attention and clamped down defensively after a timeout called by head coach Dan Bylsma, and Dupuis put the clincher into an empty net with 39 seconds to play.
Only six seconds into the first power play of the game, Neal ripped a shot home from the right circle for a 1-0 Penguins edge at 2:58.
It was 2-0 for the visitors with exactly four minutes remaining in the second period, as Despres one-timed a bouncing puck past an unscreened Nabokov.
Crosby left the game in the second period after being hit in the face with an errant puck, but soon returned ... Pittsburgh has beaten every other team in the Atlantic Division at least once already this season ... The Pens improved to 14-5-1 against the Islanders since 2009, and snapped a three-game losing streak to their division rivals ... Prior to the game, the Islanders announced they agreed to terms on a one-year entry-level contract with forward Brett Gallant.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
NEW YORK: 2
Feb 5 9:32 PM
- Pittsburgh Empty Net Goal - Pascal Dupuis (3), from Paul Martin at 19:21.
Penguins 4, Islanders 2 3rd - 0:39Feb 5 9:30 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Brad Boyes (3), at 3:49.
Penguins 3, Islanders 2 3rd - 16:11Feb 5 9:03 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (5), at 3:14.
Penguins 3, Islanders 1 3rd - 16:46Feb 5 9:02 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Brandon Sutter (2), from Matt Cooke at 1:44.
Penguins 3, Islanders 0 3rd - 18:16Feb 5 8:59 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
NEW YORK: 0
End of 2nd
Feb 5 8:38 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Simon Despres, at 16:00.
Penguins 2, Islanders 0 2nd - 4:00Feb 5 8:31 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Feb 5 7:46 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - James Neal (6), from Sidney Crosby at 2:58.
Penguins 1, Islanders 0 1st - 17:02Feb 5 7:12 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 5 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19