Briere's OT score lifts Flyers over HurricanesFeb 9, 2013 - 10:02 PM
Nik Grossman sent a lead pass from his zone down the left wing and Briere took it into the Carolina zone. He cut to the front of the net and snapped a shot that hit off the left post, then went off the back of Cam Ward before trickling in.
"Yeah when I cut to the middle like I did at first, my plan was to drop it," said Briere. "I realized that their defenseman was up and the second defenseman and forward were back checking, lunging to go towards Kurtis [Foster] as well, so I decided to keep the puck and there was a little opening in the slot to shoot it in."
Brayden Schenn and Jakub Voracek posted a goal and an assist while Matt Read also scored for the Flyers, who went 3-0-1 on a four-game road trip. Ilya Bryzgalov gave up three goals on 33 shots in the win.
Joe Corvo posted a goal and an assist and Jiri Tlusty and Jeff Skinner each lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who had won three of four. Ward posted 28 stops.
"I think we did a good job battling back there in the third," said Carolina center Jeff Skinner. "It was a big goal by [Joe Corvo]. We carried the momentum into the overtime, I think. But in overtime anything can happen. So, I think it was a good job battling back."
Carolina scored just 17 seconds into the game for the quick lead. Off a right circle faceoff win, Corvo one-timed the puck on net and Tlusty snapped the rebound into the left corner for his first of the season.
After failing to score on an extended 5-on-3, the Flyers were finally able to tie the game at the 13:52 mark of the first as a wrist shot from the left point by Kimmo Timonen saw a nice re-direct by Schenn for his second of the year.
Philly took the lead just 1:33 into the second when Mike Knuble blocked a clear at the right point and dished it down low for Read, who snapped a wrister over the shoulder of Ward for a 2-1 advantage.
It was a 2-2 game at the 11:17 mark of the second when Skinner skated the puck behind the net and from the right circle flung a turnaround shot into the right corner of the net, but the Flyers answered 15 seconds later when Schenn flew in down the left wing and sent a pass to the other side where Voracek re- directed it in for his third of the year.
Carolina tied the game at the 7:58 mark of the third period off a Corvo right point shot that hit off the right shoulder of Bryzgalov and trickled in.
Ward stopped seven shots in the third period, including a pair on Read as time expired, to send the game to overtime.
Philadelphia starts a six-game road trip in Toronto on Monday ... Carolina plays the fifth game of a six-game road swing in New York against the Islanders on Monday ... Both teams went 0-for-3 on the power play ... The Flyers have won both games against the Hurricanes this season and 18 of the last 22.
- CAROLINA: 3
Final - OT
Feb 9 3:41 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Danny Briere (2), at 1:47.
Hurricanes 3, Flyers 4 OT - 3:13Feb 9 3:41 PM
- CAROLINA: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 9 3:36 PM
- Carolina Goal - Joe Corvo, from Tim Gleason and Chad LaRose at 7:58.
Hurricanes 3, Flyers 3 3rd - 12:02Feb 9 3:13 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 9 2:43 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jakub Voracek (3), from Brayden Schenn at 11:32.
Hurricanes 2, Flyers 3 2nd - 8:28Feb 9 2:30 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (6), at 11:17.
Hurricanes 2, Flyers 2 2nd - 8:43Feb 9 2:29 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (5), at 1:33.
Hurricanes 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 18:27Feb 9 2:09 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
End of 1st
Feb 9 1:48 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Brayden Schenn (2), at 13:52.
Hurricanes 1, Flyers 1 1st - 6:08Feb 9 1:36 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jiri Tlusty, from Joe Corvo and Eric Staal at :17.
Hurricanes 1, Flyers 0 1st - 19:43Feb 9 1:12 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 9 1:08 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23