Phaneuf lifts Maple Leafs past Islanders in OTMar 1, 2013 - 5:12 AM
In the extra session, Mikhail Grabovski sent a pass from the right corner back to the point for Phaneuf, who skated down to the circle and snapped a shot that just trickled past Evgeni Nabokov for the win.
"They played a hard game and kept pushing us all night," said Phaneuf. "We let them back in it, but I think this was a big character win in that we stuck with it and we're able to pull it out."
Nazem Kadri netted the first hat trick of his career and James van Riemsdyk also scored for the Maple Leafs, who have alternated wins and losses in their past seven games. James Reimer made 23 stops in the win.
Kyle Okposo had a goal and two assists while Andrew MacDonald added a goal and an assist for the Islanders, who have dropped their past three games. Nabokov was charged with all five goals on 28 shots.
The Islanders took a 2-1 lead at the 6:22 mark of the second when Lubomir Visnovsky's blistering slap shot from the left point hit off the crossbar and went in, but the Maple Leafs scored the next three goals.
It was a tie game about 2 1/2 minutes later as Kadri's heavy wrister from the slot sailed past the glove of Nabokov, and van Riemsdyk gave his team the lead 2 1/2 minutes after that.
David Steckel sent a pass from the left wing to the slot on a rush play and van Riemsdyk threw a shot on net. Nabokov made the stop, but the rebound was followed up by van Riemsdyk and he put that in for his 12th of the year.
Kadri capped his hat trick four minutes later as he took an outlet pass through the middle, skated down the right wing and made a nice move to get around the defender before snapping it in for his eighth of the year.
The Islanders, though, rallied in the third period to tie the game and got the first goal at the 5:31 mark when MacDonald's one-timer from the right circle sailed in.
At the midway mark of the period, New York tied the contest when Okposo blocked a point shot in his own end and went the other way. From the right circle, he snapped the disc over the glove of Reimer for his second goal of the season.
"We showed some character in the third period after a lull in the second," said New York head coach Jack Capuano. "But we can't be satisfied with a point."
Josh Bailey scored just 3:34 into the game to get the Islanders on the board, but Kadri tied the game five minutes later on a wrist shot.
Michael Grabner was awarded a penalty shot when he was tripped by Phil Kessel on a breakaway with 4:04 to play in the first, but blew a chance to give New York the lead as his shot went high.
The hat trick was the first by a Leaf since Joffrey Lupul on Nov. 2, 2011 ... Toronto hosts New Jersey on Monday ... New York hosts Ottawa on Sunday ... The Islanders had taken a 7-4 win in Toronto on Jan. 24 ... The only penalty call in the game was the one that led to the penalty shot.
- TORONTO: 5
NEW YORK: 4
Final - OT
Feb 28 9:41 PM
- Toronto Goal - Dion Phaneuf (4), at 1:11.
Maple Leafs 5, Islanders 4 OT - 3:49Feb 28 9:39 PM
- TORONTO: 4
NEW YORK: 4
End of Regulation
Feb 28 9:35 PM
- Tyler Bozak shot blocked by Andrew MacDonald.
Maple Leafs 4, Islanders 4 3rd - 7:59Feb 28 9:22 PM
- Kyle Okposo shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 4, Islanders 3 3rd - 9:52Feb 28 9:17 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Kyle Okposo, at 10:08.
Maple Leafs 4, Islanders 4 3rd - 9:52Feb 28 9:17 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Andrew MacDonald, at 5:31.
Maple Leafs 4, Islanders 3 3rd - 14:29Feb 28 9:07 PM
- Lubomir Visnovsky wrist shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 4, Islanders 2 3rd - 15:55Feb 28 9:03 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Lubomir Visnovsky (2), at 4:05.
Maple Leafs 4, Islanders 3 3rd - 15:55Feb 28 9:03 PM
- TORONTO: 4
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 28 8:39 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nazem Kadri (8), at 14:12.
Maple Leafs 4, Islanders 2 2nd - 5:48Feb 28 8:28 PM
- James van Riemsdyk wrist shot on Evgeni Nabokov.
Maple Leafs 3, Islanders 2 2nd - 9:35Feb 28 8:20 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nazem Kadri (7), at 8:55.
Maple Leafs 2, Islanders 2 2nd - 11:05Feb 28 8:17 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Lubomir Visnovsky, at 6:22.
Maple Leafs 1, Islanders 2 2nd - 13:38Feb 28 8:12 PM
- TORONTO: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Feb 28 7:42 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nazem Kadri (6), at 8:31.
Maple Leafs 1, Islanders 1 1st - 11:29Feb 28 7:22 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Josh Bailey, at 3:34.
Maple Leafs 0, Islanders 1 1st - 16:26Feb 28 7:13 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 28 7:07 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7