Hurricanes knock off Panthers, sweep weekend setMar 4, 2013 - 5:21 AM
Justin Faulk and Alexander Semin each had a goal for the Hurricanes, who have won three straight and four of their last five.
Cam Ward started in net and stopped all 15 shots he faced before leaving in the second period with a leg injury. Dan Ellis allowed two goals on 21 shots in relief.
"We've played very strong defensively," Ellis said. "We've started to develop our team identity."
Jonathan Huberdeau scored both goals for the Panthers, who have dropped three straight and five of six. Scott Clemmensen allowed three goals on 24 shots in the loss.
Clemmensen was called upon after it was reported earlier Sunday by a Canadian broadcast outlet that usual starter Jose Theodore has a torn right groin and may require surgery. Later on, the Panthers reported Theodore and defenseman Dmitry Kulikov were placed on injured reserve.
The Hurricanes took a 1-0 lead with 1:52 left to play in the opening frame when Faulk's one-timer from the right point found its way through traffic.
It was a 2-0 game one minute later when Semin left the puck at the right point for Jiri Tlustly, who then fed the puck down to Semin as he was behind the defense and slid the puck in for his fifth of the season.
The score was 3-0 at the 6:10 mark of the second when Jeff Skinner came around the net from the right side and sent it out from where Staal one-timed it home.
Florida, though, made it a two-goal game with 3:55 to play in the second as Peter Mueller's pass from the right boards went to the slot where Huberdeau re-directed it into the net.
Late in the game with Clemmensen pulled for an extra attacker, the Panthers cut their deficit to one. Brian Campbell was stopped on a breakaway, but Mueller picked up the puck and from the left boards he sent it to the right where Huberdeau was all alone for his 10th of the season with 54.6 seconds left.
"It's the win that's important. I don't care if I score two goals and we lose," Huberdeau said. "We have to work harder."
The hosts were unable to get any pressure in the Carolina end before time expired.
Florida recalled goaltender Jacob Markstrom from San Antonio of the AHL, but Markstrom's pads arrived late, causing goaltending coach Rob Tallas to take warmups as Clemmensen's backup ... The Panthers also recalled defenseman Nolan Yonkman from San Antonio ... Carolina hosts Buffalo on Tuesday ... Florida hosts Winnipeg on Tuesday ... The Hurricanes have won two of the three games with the Panthers this season ... Carolina was 0-for-2 on the power play while Florida was 0-for-1.
- CAROLINA: 3
Mar 3 8:30 PM
- Florida Goal - Jonathan Huberdeau (10), from Peter Mueller and Brian Campbell at 19:05.
Hurricanes 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 0:55Mar 3 8:27 PM
- CAROLINA: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 3 7:36 PM
- Florida Goal - Jonathan Huberdeau (9), from Peter Mueller at 16:04.
Hurricanes 3, Panthers 1 2nd - 3:56Mar 3 7:27 PM
- Jeff Skinner slap shot on Scott Clemmensen.
Hurricanes 3, Panthers 0 2nd - 12:57Mar 3 7:09 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
2nd Period - 13:51
Hurricanes 2, Panthers 0 2nd - 13:51Mar 3 7:08 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (5), at 6:09.
Hurricanes 3, Panthers 0 2nd - 13:51Mar 3 7:08 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
End of 1st
Mar 3 6:42 PM
- Carolina Goal - Alexander Semin (5), at 19:08.
Hurricanes 2, Panthers 0 1st - 0:52Mar 3 6:40 PM
- Carolina Goal - Justin Faulk (3), at 18:08.
Hurricanes 1, Panthers 0 1st - 1:52Mar 3 6:38 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 3 6:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25