Islanders beat Habs; Gionta sets Montreal milestoneMar 6, 2013 - 3:38 AM
Matt Moulson and Matt Martin each scored a power-play goal for the Islanders, who improved to 2-2-1 on a seven-game homestand.
"I think it was a character win for our guys but we need some guys to step it up. We have to make sure all 20 guys are going," said Islanders head coach Jack Capuano.
New York overcame a one-goal deficit and a blown two-goal lead to end the Canadiens' point streak at 11 games (8-0-3).
Michael Ryder registered three assists for Montreal, which suffered its first regulation loss since Feb. 9.
Down 3-1, the Canadiens pulled even with consecutive power-play goals by P.K. Subban and Brian Gionta.
Subban worked a give-and-go with Andrei Markov at the point before unleashing a slap shot that beat New York goaltender Evgeni Nabokov with 3:11 remaining in the second period. The goal was scored two seconds after a 5-on-3 had expired.
Gionta put home the rebound of another Subban point shot 6:07 into the third. His tally was the 20,000th in the storied history of the Canadiens in the NHL.
The game wasn't tied for long as Martinek beat Carey Price on the short side with a shot from the left point at 7:56.
John Tavares provided some insurance with 1:07 remaining, and Colin McDonald iced the game with an empty-netter in the waning seconds.
Tomas Plekanec was wide open in front and one-timed rookie Alex Galchenyuk's feed from the left corner past Nabokov at the 5:21 mark of the first period.
The Islanders then beat Price three times in the middle stanza, two coming on the advantage.
After pushing the puck into the Montreal zone, former Canadien Mark Streit sent a cross-ice pass from the left boards to Moulson and he snapped a shot behind Price at 1:23.
Brad Boyes set up Martin for a one-timer in the slot at 12:10, then Michael Grabner buried a rebound 48 seconds later.
Martin scored his first career power-play goal ... New York's Kyle Okposo picked up his 100th career assist on Martinek's first goal since Oct. 12, 2011 ... Islanders defenseman Thomas Hickey notched his first two career assists. His first NHL goal was the overtime winner against Montreal on Feb. 21 ... Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky missed the game for personal reasons ... The Canadiens fell to 11-3-3 when scoring first this season.
- MONTREAL: 3
NEW YORK: 6
Mar 5 9:36 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Colin McDonald (4), at 19:43.
Canadiens 3, Islanders 6 3rd - 0:17Mar 5 9:35 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - John Tavares (14), at 18:53.
Canadiens 3, Islanders 5 3rd - 1:07Mar 5 9:33 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Frans Nielsen (3), at 7:56.
Canadiens 3, Islanders 4 3rd - 12:04Mar 5 9:13 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Brian Gionta (7), at 6:07.
Canadiens 3, Islanders 3 3rd - 13:53Mar 5 9:08 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
NEW YORK: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 5 8:41 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - P.K. Subban (5), at 16:49.
Canadiens 2, Islanders 3 2nd - 3:11Mar 5 8:30 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner, at 12:58.
Canadiens 1, Islanders 3 2nd - 7:02Mar 5 8:21 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin, at 12:10.
Canadiens 1, Islanders 2 2nd - 7:50Mar 5 8:19 PM
- Michael Grabner slap shot on Carey Price.
Canadiens 1, Islanders 1 2nd - 17:27Mar 5 8:02 PM
- Montreal Short-Handed Goal - Josh Gorges (2), at 1:23.
Canadiens 2, Islanders 0 2nd - 18:37Mar 5 8:01 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Mar 5 7:40 PM
- Montreal Goal - Tomas Plekanec (10), at 5:21.
Canadiens 1, Islanders 0 1st - 14:39Mar 5 7:15 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 5 7:07 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7