Habs down Hurricanes in battle of division leadersMar 8, 2013 - 6:35 AM
The Northeast-leading Canadiens had an 11-point streak (8-0-3) snapped Tuesday against the New York Islanders.
Brandon Prust and Gorges each netted a goal in the opening frame for Northeast-leading Montreal, which avoided consecutive losses for the first time in a month.
Carey Price made 42 saves, including on a penalty shot in the second period, in the win.
"I thought we came out strong in the first period and were a little flat in the second, but the most important thing is that we bounced back in the third period," Price said.
The Habs dropped three in a row prior to the start of that torrid 11-point stretch on Feb. 12 in a win against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Six points atop the Southeast division, Carolina had its four-game winning streak snapped.
Jordan Staal and Drayson Bowman potted goals, while Peters gave up four goals on 28 shots in the loss
"We couldn't get a bounce or break," Eric Staal said. "The effort was there."
Eller's goal came at the 6:09 mark and Subban lit the lamp on the power play just 1:47 later.
Eller tipped home Josh Gorges' pass from the right circle and Subban wound back and fired a one-time slap shot past Carolina netminder Justin Peters from the left point for his sixth goal of the year.
Earlier, after Prust and Gorges' first-period goals gave the Habs a 2-0 lead, Staal and Bowman tallied a little over four minutes apart during the middle stages of the second to knot the contest heading into the third.
Montreal went 1-for-6 on the power play, while Carolina was 0-for-4 on the man advantage ... The Hurricanes outshot the Canadiens 21-5 in the second period ... Staal's goal was his sixth of the year.
- MONTREAL: 4
Mar 7 9:43 PM
- Jeff Skinner wrist shot on Carey Price.
Canadiens 4, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 11:17Mar 7 9:21 PM
- Montreal Goal - Lars Eller, at 6:09.
Canadiens 3, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 13:51Mar 7 9:13 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 7 8:45 PM
- Alexander Semin snap shot is wide.
Canadiens 2, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 8:24Mar 7 8:30 PM
- Alexander Semin shot blocked by Andrei Markov.
Canadiens 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 11:10Mar 7 8:26 PM
- Carolina Goal - Drayson Bowman, at 10:27.
Canadiens 2, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 9:33Mar 7 8:25 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (6), at 6:07.
Canadiens 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 13:53Mar 7 8:15 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 1st
Mar 7 7:49 PM
- Montreal Goal - Josh Gorges (2), from Brandon Prust and P.K. Subban at 8:19.
Canadiens 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 11:41Mar 7 7:26 PM
- Montreal Goal - Alex Galchenyuk (4), from Alexei Emelin and Lars Eller at 3:22.
Canadiens 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 16:38Mar 7 7:16 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 7 7:09 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Galchenyuk, Pacioretty score twice; Canadiens beat Lightning Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9