Stamkos scores 200th goal as Bolts top FlyersMar 19, 2013 - 5:04 AM
Ondrej Palat and Tom Pyatt both lit the lamp in the first period for the Lightning, who notched their second straight home win on the heels of a five- game skid at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
"It's good for our confidence," Purcell said. "We want to play well for our fans."
Anders Lindback turned away 28 of the 30 shots Philadelphia fired in his direction.
Claude Giroux and Maxime Talbot scored for the Flyers, who have dropped four straight on the road. Ilya Bryzgalov made 23 saves in defeat.
"It's frustrating to not come away with two points when we play a good game," Giroux said. "We just have to keep competing and working hard."
Purcell deflected Keith Aulie's right-point shot to snap a 2-2 tie at the 9:25 mark of the third.
Stamkos hit an empty net with three seconds remaining to become the fourth-youngest player in NHL history to register 200 career goals. The 2008 No. 1 overall pick, Stamkos reached the mark at 23 years old, 41 days.
Only Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Dale Hawerchuk did it faster.
Palat netted his second goal in as many games, staking Tampa Bay to a 1-0 lead. Dana Tyrell chipped the puck ahead to Palat, who scored his first NHL goal Saturday against Carolina, and he beat Bryzgalov five-hole 6:38 into the contest.
Philadelphia tied it later in the first period when Talbot carried the puck on an end-to-end rush, cut to the slot and whipped a backhander past Lindback with 6:05 remaining.
Pyatt put the Lightning back on top with 2:57 left in the first, tipping in Tyler Johnson's feed from the right-wing boards.
Tampa Bay couldn't pad its lead, however, and the Flyers erased the one-goal deficit in the second period. A failed clearing attempt by Tampa Bay wound up on the stick of Giroux, who fired a shot from the slot through heavy traffic and behind Lindback with 4:39 remaining.
Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen played in his 1,000th career game, a milestone achieved on his 38th birthday. Timonen became just the sixth player from Finland to reach the mark ... Tampa Bay blueliner Matt Carle played in career game No. 500 ... The Flyers have lost four straight and five of their last six trips to Tampa.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
TAMPA BAY: 4
Mar 18 10:11 PM
- Tampa Bay Empty Net Goal - Steven Stamkos (21), from Alex Killorn and Martin St. Louis at 19:57.
Flyers 2, Lightning 4 3rd - 0:03Mar 18 10:10 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Keith Aulie (2), at 9:25.
Flyers 2, Lightning 3 3rd - 10:35Mar 18 9:49 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 18 9:30 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux (9), at 15:21.
Flyers 2, Lightning 2 2nd - 4:39Mar 18 9:02 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Mar 18 8:16 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tom Pyatt (6), from Tyler Johnson and Victor Hedman at 17:03.
Flyers 1, Lightning 2 1st - 2:57Mar 18 8:11 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Maxime Talbot (4), at 13:55.
Flyers 1, Lightning 1 1st - 6:05Mar 18 8:06 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ondrej Palat (2), from Dana Tyrell and Sami Salo at 6:38.
Flyers 0, Lightning 1 1st - 13:22Mar 18 7:51 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 18 7:40 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17