Panthers power past HurricanesMar 20, 2013 - 3:11 AM
Tomas Fleischmann, Marcel Goc and Shawn Matthias each scored in the final 12:21 to help the league-worst Panthers snap a six-game slide, with Jerred Smithson adding an empty-net goal in the win.
Dan Ellis' 40 saves went for naught as the Hurricanes went 0-for-3 on the power play en route to a season-high fourth straight loss.
"They outworked us, that's all it comes down to," said Ellis, whose club fell two points behind the Southeast Division-leading Winnipeg Jets. "They created havoc and they executed."
Jordan Staal spoiled Markstrom's shutout bid with 2:33 left in the game, but the damage had already been done.
Ellis' terrific performance came undone in the early stages of the third after Carolina defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti turned the puck over behind the net. Tomas Kopecky forced the giveaway and sent a backhander to Fleischmann on the right doorstep to break the scoreless tie at the 7:39 mark.
Goc scored 32 seconds into a two-man advantage with 7:13 remaining, and Matthias, who was battling the flu, put in a rebound with Florida still a man up 1:04 later.
"I couldn't let my teammates go out there without me, I wanted to battle with them and end this slump and it feels good to have the win," Matthias said. "I don't care how bad I feel, it feels good right now."
After Staal ended the possibility of Markstrom's first career whitewash, Smithson sealed the win with an empty-netter in the final minute.
Both goaltenders were peppered with 17 shots in the opening period and turned each one away. Carolina failed to score on the only power play of the first stanza, then came up empty in the second on a four-minute advantage stemming from a Scottie Upshall high stick that cut the face of Tim Gleason.
The Panthers also had their chances in the middle period, squandering a late 4-on-3 edge and blowing two breakaways. Fleischmann shot high and wide early on for the first, and Ellis later made a nifty kick save on Goc.
The Southeast Division foes split their four-game season series ... Carolina is just 3-8-0 against division opponents this season ... Florida, which had lost four straight on the road, opened a five-game trek Tuesday ... The Panthers were 2-for-3 on the power play.
- FLORIDA: 4
Mar 19 9:37 PM
- Florida Goal - Jerred Smithson (2), at 19:07.
Panthers 4, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 0:53Mar 19 9:36 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (7), from Joni Pitkanen and Dan Ellis at 17:27.
Panthers 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 2:33Mar 19 9:31 PM
- Florida Goal - Shawn Matthias, at 13:51.
Panthers 3, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 6:09Mar 19 9:20 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Marcel Goc (4), from Filip Kuba at 12:47.
Panthers 2, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 7:13Mar 19 9:18 PM
- Florida Goal - Tomas Fleischmann (6), from Tomas Kopecky at 7:39.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 12:21Mar 19 9:07 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 19 8:36 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 1st
Mar 19 7:43 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 19 7:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25