Jets slip by LightningMar 25, 2013 - 4:43 AM
Bryan Little and Dustin Byfuglien also lit the lamp for the Jets, while Blake Wheeler chipped in a pair of assists as the Southeast Division leaders halted a two-game slide.
"Special teams was the factor tonight," Jets captain Andrew Ladd said. "We killed a lot of big penalties."
Steven Stamkos and Cory Conacher scored for the Lightning, who fired head coach Guy Boucher earlier on Sunday.
"Obviously there's some mistakes we made ... you learn from those things and move on," Stamkos said.
Cedrick Desjardins made 21 saves in defeat as the Bolts dropped their third in a row and sixth in their last nine.
Winnipeg entered the second period up by a goal, and ended it ahead by two scores.
Byfuglien made it 2-0 during a power play with 2:35 played in the second on a low drive from the left circle, and though Stamkos one-timer a man-advantage score from the left wing at 6:20, the Jets went up 3-1 at 9:35 on a strike from Enstrom.
During a 4-on-4 situation, Ladd circled near the goal line and found the defenseman alone in front for the easy goal.
Conacher's deflection of an Eric Brewer offering drew Tampa Bay within a goal just after the five-minute mark of the third, but Pavelec remained strong down the stretch to preserve the one-goal decision.
Little opened the scoring for the hosts just shy of the six-minute mark of the opening period, lifting a shot home from the edge of the right circle.
Winnipeg has won three of the four home meetings with Tampa Bay since the franchise relocated from Atlanta ... The Jets have beaten the Bolts in two of three matchups this season ... Boucher departs the Lightning organization with a 97-78-20 record in less than three seasons at the helm for the Bolts, including a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2011.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Mar 24 10:33 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal at 5:01.
Lightning 2, Jets 3 3rd - 14:59Mar 24 10:09 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 24 9:42 PM
- Teddy Purcell slap shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Lightning 1, Jets 3 2nd - 4:45Mar 24 9:35 PM
- Shot blocked by Paul Postma.
Lightning 0, Jets 2 2nd - 16:13Mar 24 9:33 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Tobias Enstrom (3), at 9:35.
Lightning 1, Jets 3 2nd - 10:25Mar 24 9:21 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Steven Stamkos (22), at 6:20.
Lightning 1, Jets 2 2nd - 13:40Mar 24 9:13 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Dustin Byfuglien (6), at 2:35.
Lightning 0, Jets 2 2nd - 17:25Mar 24 9:08 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 24 8:43 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Bryan Little (5), at 14:02.
Lightning 0, Jets 1 1st - 5:58Mar 24 8:32 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 24 8:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17