Leafs take down reeling HurricanesMar 29, 2013 - 5:17 AM
Dion Phaneuf had a goal and two assists while Lupul, Tyler Bozak and Nikolai Kulemin each had a goal and an assist for the Maple Leafs, who have won three of their last four.
James Reimer had 19 saves in the win.
"There were parts of our game that we could have been better at, but I think that happens every game," said Reimer. "We just managed to stay focused and stick to our game plan."
Eric Staal, Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin each lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who have dropped seven straight.
Justin Peters allowed four goals on 34 shots in the setback.
Jordan Staal put Carolina ahead, 3-2, with a wrister 6:55 into the final period, but Toronto scored four unanswered goals.
Phaneuf tied the game with 5:25 remaining in regulation with a slap shot.
Lupul then potted the game-winner 2:15 later. He corralled the puck deep in the Maple Leafs zone before taking it the length of the ice. Lupul, streaking down the left side, cut in front of the goaltender and banged the disc off the right pipe, then backhanded it in before Peters could locate it.
"We got that goal in the third period, we got the lead and unfortunately they got a power play goal," said Peters on how things fell apart after his team took the lead.
Jay McClement and Kulemin added a pair of empty netters to account for the final margin.
Bozak scored 3:58 into the opening period with a snap shot, and Franson's snap shot with 10:57 to go in the second gave the Maple Leafs a 2-0 edge, but the Hurricanes added a pair of goals to knot things up.
Eric Staal scored Carolina's first goal with a wrister 11:29 into the middle session, and Semin netted the equalizer moments later on the power play.
Toronto outshout Carolina, 36-22 ... Phil Kessel has 24 assists this season ... The Maple Leafs will travel to Ottawa to take on the Senators on Saturday ... The Hurricanes, who were 1-for-3 on the power play, will travel to Winnipeg to face the Jets on Saturday.
- CAROLINA: 3
Mar 28 9:38 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nikolai Kulemin, from Tyler Bozak at 19:57.
Hurricanes 3, Maple Leafs 6 3rd - 0:03Mar 28 9:37 PM
- Toronto Empty Net Goal - Jay McClement (6), from Nikolai Kulemin and Dion Phaneuf at 19:15.
Hurricanes 3, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 0:45Mar 28 9:35 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul, at 16:50.
Hurricanes 3, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 3:10Mar 28 9:27 PM
- CAROLINA: 3
3rd Period - 5:25
Hurricanes 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 5:25Mar 28 9:24 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (8), from Tuomo Ruutu at 6:55.
Hurricanes 3, Maple Leafs 2 3rd - 13:05Mar 28 9:11 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 28 8:41 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Alexander Semin (9), at 15:52.
Hurricanes 2, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 4:08Mar 28 8:33 PM
- Joni Pitkanen wrist shot is wide.
Hurricanes 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 7:00Mar 28 8:27 PM
- Cody Franson snap shot on Justin Peters.
Hurricanes 0, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 8:36Mar 28 8:26 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Eric Staal (15), from Alexander Semin at 11:29.
Hurricanes 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 8:31Mar 28 8:26 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Cody Franson (3), from Phil Kessel at 9:03.
Hurricanes 0, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 10:57Mar 28 8:18 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 1st
Mar 28 7:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tyler Bozak (10), from Phil Kessel at 3:58.
Hurricanes 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 16:02Mar 28 7:15 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 28 7:06 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10