Panthers down Sabres in SOMar 29, 2013 - 5:42 AM
Jason Pominville started the shootout with a marker for the Sabres, but after the next two shooters missed, Jonathan Huberdeau lit the lamp with a slick move to bring the Panthers even.
The next three shooters each came up empty before Santorelli skated in and avoided a Ryan Miller stick check before lifting a wrister over the prone Buffalo netminder to end the Panthers' three-game skid.
Shawn Matthias scored twice, Huberdeau finished with a goal and an assist, and Tomas Fleischmann added a power-play goal for the Panthers, who remain last in the Eastern Conference with 26 points. Jacob Markstrom posted 36 saves.
Drew Stafford, a healthy scratch over the last two games, recorded a goal and an assist, while Nathan Gerbe, Andrej Sekera and Marcus Foligno each scored once for the Sabres, who have lost two straight and sit five points back of the final spot in the Eastern Conference. Miller made 36 saves.
"Obviously we didn't get the start we wanted, fell behind and kept composure and bounced back into the game, but again it's unfortunate to give up a lead," Pominville said. "Again, it's one of those one-goal games that we have to find a way to win."
Matthias opened the scoring 3:28 into the game when he put home a rebound off a Tyson Strachan point shot, while Fleischmann's power-play marker 43 seconds into the second staked the Panthers to a 2-0 lead.
Gerbe's fourth of the season cut the margin in half just 53 seconds later before the Sabres scored a pair of goals late in the frame to take the lead.
The first came at the 14:56 mark when the Panthers turned the puck over in their own zone and the disc ended up in the high slot, where Sekera recovered it before firing a shot that hit a Florida stick in front and skipped past Markstrom to knot the game.
Stafford then made it a 3-2 margin with 56 seconds left in the frame when he tipped in Christian Ehrhoff's blast from above the right circle, but Matthias' second of the night evened things early in the third, as he pounded home a rebound off a Peter Mueller blast at the 5:23 mark.
Foligno's tip-in, power-play tally at 11:33 put the Sabres back in front, but the lead didn't last long, as Mueller found a cutting Huberdeau for a one- timer from in front just 2:18 later to knot the game at 4-4.
"It was an important goal in the third to tie the game," Huberdeau said. "The team had a great effort tonight. We were up 2-0 and we came back two times in this game. We want to work and we want to get wins."
Neither netminder was tested much in overtime, with Miller posting two saves and Markstrom making three stops.
The Sabres were without leading scorer Thomas Vanek, who left Tuesday's 2-1 loss at Tampa Bay with an upper-body injury ... Florida has won two of the three meetings this season, including a 4-3 win in Buffalo on Feb. 3 ... Brian Campbell and Mueller each finished with two assists for the Panthers ... Florida went 2-for-5 on the power play, while Buffalo finished 1-for-4 on the man-advantage.
- BUFFALO: 4
Final - 2OT
Mar 28 10:21 PM
- BUFFALO: 4
End of OT
Mar 28 10:11 PM
- BUFFALO: 4
End of Regulation
Mar 28 10:03 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Jonathan Huberdeau (13), from Peter Mueller at 13:51.
Sabres 4, Panthers 4 3rd - 6:09Mar 28 9:51 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Marcus Foligno, at 11:33.
Sabres 4, Panthers 3 3rd - 8:27Mar 28 9:45 PM
- Florida Goal - Shawn Matthias (12), from Peter Mueller at 5:23.
Sabres 3, Panthers 3 3rd - 14:37Mar 28 9:33 PM
- BUFFALO: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 28 9:06 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Christian Ehrhoff, at 19:04.
Sabres 3, Panthers 2 2nd - 0:56Mar 28 9:04 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Andrej Sekera (2), at 14:56.
Sabres 2, Panthers 2 2nd - 5:04Mar 28 8:59 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Nathan Gerbe (4), at 1:36.
Sabres 1, Panthers 2 2nd - 18:24Mar 28 8:31 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Tomas Fleischmann (8), from Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell at :43.
Sabres 0, Panthers 2 2nd - 19:17Mar 28 8:30 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
End of 1st
Mar 28 8:10 PM
- Florida Goal - Shawn Matthias, from Tyson Strachan at 3:28.
Sabres 0, Panthers 1 1st - 16:32Mar 28 7:44 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 28 7:39 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25