Flyers rally in third period to down MontrealApr 4, 2013 - 3:14 AM
Montreal grabbed a 3-2 lead after Brandon Prust and David Desharnais tallied 20 seconds apart late in the second period. The Canadiens then appeared to sit back and the Flyers continued to apply the pressure before finally breaking through in the latter stages of the contest.
Ilya Bryzgalov faced only two Montreal shots in the third and finished with 14 saves for the Flyers, who have won three straight games for the first time this season and are four points out of a playoff spot.
"We have a never quit attitude and we're getting rewarded for it," said Flyers forward Brayden Schenn. "It doesn't matter if we're down two or up one, we're still working hard in the third periods and trying to win hockey games. We got to keep it going."
Carey Price stopped 29 shots for Montreal, which has dropped five straight at the Wells Fargo Center. The Northeast Division-leading Canadiens had their winning streak snapped at three games.
"We just didn't match their intensity, it's just that simple," said Montreal head coach Michel Therrien.
A common theme developed for the Flyers as four of their goals came as the result of friendly caroms.
Philadelphia tied things up when Bruno Gervais' shot went in off the right skate of a crease-crashing Wayne Simmonds at 14:54 of the third.
Erik Gustafsson then made a move around a Montreal player and had his centering feed to Matt Read go in off a Montreal player for the go-ahead marker with 3:36 remaining.
An empty-netter by Jakub Voracek sealed it with 39 seconds to go.
Alexei Emelin opened the scoring in the first period for Montreal. Emelin took a drop pass from Max Pacioretty and fired a wrister from up high that beat Bryzgalov on the blocker side at the 13:13 mark.
The Flyers moved ahead in the second period.
Price repelled a shot fired by Sean Couturier, but the rebound was directed into the Montreal net by Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban's skate at 4:47.
Later on, Luke Schenn missed the net with a right-point blast, but the puck bounced off the end boards and came out the far side right to Simon Gagne. The veteran forward then sent a shot from the left wing into an open net with 4:17 remaining.
The Flyers' advantage was short-lived, however, as Prust put home a feed from Jeff Halpern 46 seconds later.
The Flyers won for just the second time this season when trailing after two periods (2-11-0) ... Montreal forward Tomas Plekanec and Philadelphia grinder Zac Rinaldo both left the game with lower-body injuries and did not return ... Flyers defenseman Oliver Lauridsen picked up his first NHL point with an assist on Gagne's goal ... The Flyers made one trade prior to Wednesday's deadline, acquiring goaltender Steve Mason from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for netminder Michael Leighton and a 2015 third-round draft pick. Mason won the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie following the 2008-09 season ... The Flyers also claimed forward Adam Hall off waivers from the Tampa Bay Lightning ... North Dakota forward Danny Kristo signed an entry- level contract with Montreal, nearly five years after he was selected by the organization in the second round (56th overall) of the 2008 draft. Kristo, who signed a two-year deal, will report to Hamilton of the American Hockey League.
- MONTREAL: 3
Apr 3 10:07 PM
- Philadelphia Empty Net Goal - Jakub Voracek (15), from Matt Read at 19:21.
Canadiens 3, Flyers 5 3rd - 0:39Apr 3 10:06 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read, at 16:24.
Canadiens 3, Flyers 4 3rd - 3:36Apr 3 10:02 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds (12), from Bruno Gervais and Kimmo Timonen at 14:54.
Canadiens 3, Flyers 3 3rd - 5:06Apr 3 9:59 PM
- MONTREAL: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 3 9:11 PM
- Montreal Goal - David Desharnais (9), at 16:49.
Canadiens 3, Flyers 2 2nd - 3:11Apr 3 9:06 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brandon Prust (5), at 16:29.
Canadiens 2, Flyers 2 2nd - 3:31Apr 3 9:06 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Simon Gagne (3), from Oliver Lauridsen and Luke Schenn at 15:43.
Canadiens 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 4:17Apr 3 9:05 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Sean Couturier (3), at 4:47.
Canadiens 1, Flyers 1 2nd - 15:13Apr 3 8:41 PM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 1st
Apr 3 8:12 PM
- Montreal Goal - Alexei Emelin (3), at 13:13.
Canadiens 1, Flyers 0 1st - 6:47Apr 3 8:02 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 3 7:40 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23