Bishop shuts out Hurricanes in Lightning debutApr 5, 2013 - 3:24 AM
Bishop, acquired from the Ottawa Senators prior to Wednesday's trade deadline, made 45 saves for his second shutout of the season and the Lightning handled the Carolina Hurricanes, 5-0, on Thursday.
Martin St. Louis had a goal and two assists for Tampa Bay, which has won three of four. Benoit Pouliot added a goal and an assist, while Teddy Purcell, Tom Pyatt and Keith Aulie each scored a goal.
"We played a strong game. We played the way we wanted to play. It was fun out there," said St. Louis.
Dan Ellis stopped 25-of-30 shots for the Hurricanes, who fell to 1-9-1 over their last 11 games.
The Hurricanes and Lightning each have 34 points and sit four points behind the Jets and Capitals for first place in the Southeast Division. In addition, Carolina and Tampa Bay are five points back for the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference.
Tampa Bay drew first blood 28 seconds into the second period. Ellis failed to handle Matt Carle's shot from the left point and Purcell put home the rebound.
"I thought we came out strong in the first period. It was a good, even match," said Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller. "We looked like a fragile team when we give up that first goal right off the start in the second."
Pyatt made it a 2-0 game with 4:05 left in the middle stanza. Alex Killorn's shot from the right circle was tipped in by Pyatt.
Aulie scored on a shot from the left point with 42.4 seconds remaining.
St. Louis and Pouliot scored in the third period to account for the final margin. Bishop made 17 saves over the final 20 minutes.
Tampa Bay is 4-0 against Carolina this season ... It was the third career shutout for Bishop ... The Lightning sent forward Cory Conacher to the Senators to get Bishop ... Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman left the game with a lower-body injury.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
Apr 4 9:30 PM
- Jeff Skinner slap shot on Ben Bishop.
Lightning 5, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 11:55Apr 4 9:06 PM
- Benoit Pouliot tip-in shot on Dan Ellis.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 12:36Apr 4 9:05 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Benoit Pouliot (7), from Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis at 7:30.
Lightning 5, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 12:30Apr 4 9:04 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (9), from Benoit Pouliot and Matt Carle at 2:24.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 17:36Apr 4 8:59 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 4 8:37 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Keith Aulie (2), at 19:17.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 0:43Apr 4 8:35 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tom Pyatt (8), from Alex Killorn and Eric Brewer at 15:55.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 4:05Apr 4 8:27 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (8), from Matt Carle at :28.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 19:32Apr 4 8:03 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Apr 4 7:44 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 4 7:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17