Islanders down LightningApr 7, 2013 - 5:44 AM
Michael Grabner, Andrew MacDonald and Josh Bailey also lit the lamp for the Islanders, who have won three of their last four games.
Evgeni Nabokov stopped 19 shots in the win.
"We weren't happy with our home record, but it is something we wanted to battle through. We like playing in this building and in front of these fans. It was nice to get a win for them," Bailey said.
Matt Carle had one goal and one assist and Richard Panik added a tally for the Lightning, who have dropped two of their last three games.
Ben Bishop made 24 saves but allowed three goals in the setback.
"I guess at this point of the season every loss hurts just a little bit more. If you're not picking up points, someone else is," Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper said.
With the win, New York holds a two-point edge over the Washington Capitals for the final spot in the Eastern Conference with 42 points.
Grabner's slap shot with 5:15 left in the first gave the Islanders a 1-0 lead. Grabner corralled a loose puck in the Tampa Bay zone, skated to the net and ripped one past Bishop for his 12th goal of the season.
Panik took a pass from Vincent Lecavalier from behind the net and quickly ripped a snap shot into the back of the net to tie the game with 15:16 left in the middle session.
Bailey, though, netted a wrister nearly four minutes later to give New York a 2-1 edge. Kyle Okposo skated to the right circle then centered the disc to Bailey who banged it home.
Carle netted the equalizer four minutes into the third with a backhand. Steven Stamkos ripped a shot from the point that bounced off Nabokov's chest, but Carle was there to clean up the miss.
Martin skated into the Lightning zone from the right side and made his way into the slot before ripping a wrister into the back of the net for the game winner.
MacDonald added an empty netter to account for the final margin.
New York will host the Flyers on Tuesday ... The Lightning will visit the Washington Capitals on Sunday ... New York came up empty on its only power play chance.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
NEW YORK: 4
Apr 6 9:25 PM
- NY Islanders Empty Net Goal - Josh Bailey, at 19:46.
Lightning 2, Islanders 4 3rd - 0:14Apr 6 9:24 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin (3), at 13:34.
Lightning 2, Islanders 3 3rd - 6:26Apr 6 9:14 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Matt Carle (4), at 4:00.
Lightning 2, Islanders 2 3rd - 16:00Apr 6 8:57 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 6 8:33 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Josh Bailey (7), at 8:22.
Lightning 1, Islanders 2 2nd - 11:38Apr 6 8:12 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Richard Panik (2), at 4:44.
Lightning 1, Islanders 1 2nd - 15:16Apr 6 8:08 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Apr 6 7:42 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (12), at 14:45.
Lightning 0, Islanders 1 1st - 5:15Apr 6 7:35 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 6 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17