Oilers win in SO, keep Canucks winlessJan 21, 2013 - 6:53 AM
Hemsky beat Canucks netminder Roberto Luongo cleanly with a wrister to end the second round, following up Sam Gagner's backhander on Edmonton's first try. Devan Dubnyk stopped both Alex Edler and Alex Burrows to salt away the victory.
Hemsky and Jordan Eberle scored in regulation for the Oilers, who halted a four-game slide to their division rivals in their season opener. Dubnyk ended up with 27 saves.
"We still have a long way to go before I get any (Gatorade) showers," said Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger after earning his first NHL win.
Edler and Zack Kassian tallied for the Canucks, who put together a better effort than Saturday's 7-3 loss to Anaheim but were lucky to come up with one point. Luongo finished with 30 stops in his first start of the year.
Edler gave the hosts a 1-0 lead with just over nine minutes left in the opening period, carrying the puck from his own zone and ripping a slap shot home from the left wing.
Kassian doubled the advantage with 5:42 remaining in the second period, one- timing a Daniel Sedin feed from in front.
Eberle beat Luongo with a backhander in the waning seconds and the Oilers went to intermission down 2-1.
Edmonton knotted the game at 2-2 on a power play as the clock ticked under six minutes remaining as Hemsky's rising shot from the right wing sailed under the crook of Luongo's left arm.
"We didn't have much left in the tank halfway through the third period but we tried to battle through," Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said. "We got a point and I believe we took a step forward tonight."
Edmonton won in Vancouver for the first time since a 4-2 decision on Apr. 2, 2011 ... The Canucks won five of six matchups with the Oilers a season ago, including all three in British Columbia ... Oilers rookie forward Nail Yakupov, the first-overall pick in the 2012 draft, finished his initial NHL game with a minus-two and one shot on goal in 16:20 of ice time.
- EDMONTON: 3
Final - 2OT
Jan 20 11:51 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of OT
Jan 20 11:44 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of Regulation
Jan 20 11:35 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ales Hemsky, at 14:05.
Oilers 2, Canucks 2 3rd - 5:55Jan 20 11:22 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 20 10:39 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Jordan Eberle, from Taylor Hall at 19:56.
Oilers 1, Canucks 2 2nd - 0:04Jan 20 10:39 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Zack Kassian, from Daniel Sedin at 14:18.
Oilers 0, Canucks 2 2nd - 5:42Jan 20 10:27 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Jan 20 9:43 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexander Edler, at 10:58.
Oilers 0, Canucks 1 1st - 9:02Jan 20 9:27 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 20 9:08 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11