Red Wings get by Columbus on Brunner's SO goalJan 22, 2013 - 6:55 AM
After the first seven shooters all game up empty, Brunner drove hard to the net and avoided a stick check from Columbus goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky before stuffing the puck inside the left post past the outstretched pad of Bobrovsky to send the Red Wings to their first victory of the season.
Pavel Datsyuk registered a goal and an assist, while Brian Lashoff and Ian White each scored once for the Red Wings, who were blanked 6-0 by St. Louis in their season-opener on Saturday.
Jimmy Howard turned away 30 shots in the victory.
"This was an important game tonight. You don't want to go down 0-2 to start the season, especially in this shortened season. The two points are key," Howard said.
Cam Atkinson, James Wisniewski and Vinny Prospal recorded a goal apiece for the Blue Jackets, who opened their season with a 3-2 shootout win at Nashville. Bobrovsky finished with 39 saves in the setback.
"We're trying to find a way to get a point in every single game because every point is so precious with only 48 games," Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson said. "Win or lose you have to put it behind you and get ready for the next one."
Detroit carried a 2-1 edge into the third, but the Blue Jackets converted a pair of power-play opportunities early in the frame to jump in front.
Wisniewski started the flurry with a blast from the high slot that sailed through a screen and over the glove of Howard to tie the game at the 3:24 mark of the third.
Then, just over five minutes later, the Blue Jackets worked the power play to perfection again. Nikita Nikitin fired a shot from the point that sailed high over the net. The rebound deflected off the glass and slid into the slot, where Prospal recovered it before ripping a wrister past Howard for a 3-2 lead at the 8:43 mark.
Detroit's answer came at the tail end of a man-advantage with just over six minutes left in the game. Henrik Zetterberg won a scrum in the right corner and slid a pass into the slot to a wide-open Niklas Kronwall. Rather than shoot, Kronwall made a nice feed down low to Datsyuk, who tapped it home from the right side of the net to tie the game at the 13:56 mark.
The Red Wings outshot Columbus, 4-2, in the extra session, but Bobrovsky was able to kept Detroit off the board before allowing the game-winner in the shootout.
Detroit dominated the first period, but couldn't crack the scoreboard until early in the second, when Lashoff ripped a shot from the point that snuck past Bobrovsky for a 1-0 edge at the 1:10 mark.
The Red Wings doubled their advantage late in the frame when White finished a one-timer off a backdoor feed from Johan Franzen, but the Blue Jackets countered just over a minute later when Atkinson broke free and deked Howard before finishing with the forehand to bring Columbus within 2-1 at the 15:20 mark.
Detroit will play its home opener on Tuesday against Dallas ... The Red Wings went 0-for-7 on the power play, while Columbus finished 2-for-7 on the man- advantage ... Kronwall finished with two assists for Detroit.
- DETROIT: 4
Final - 2OT
Jan 21 10:42 PM
- DETROIT: 3
End of OT
Jan 21 10:24 PM
- DETROIT: 3
End of Regulation
Jan 21 10:16 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk, at 13:56.
Red Wings 3, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 6:04Jan 21 10:06 PM
- Niklas Kronwall slap shot on Sergei Bobrovsky.
Red Wings 2, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 10:47Jan 21 9:57 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - James Wisniewski, at 3:24.
Red Wings 2, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 16:36Jan 21 9:44 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 21 9:21 PM
- Columbus Goal - Cam Atkinson, at 15:20.
Red Wings 2, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 4:40Jan 21 9:12 PM
- Detroit Goal - Ian White, at 14:06.
Red Wings 2, Blue Jackets 0 2nd - 5:54Jan 21 9:10 PM
- Cam Atkinson wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 1, Blue Jackets 0 2nd - 17:31Jan 21 8:46 PM
- Brian Lashoff shot on Sergei Bobrovsky.
Red Wings 0, Blue Jackets 0 2nd - 18:50Jan 21 8:43 PM
- Detroit Goal - Brian Lashoff, at 1:10.
Red Wings 1, Blue Jackets 0 2nd - 18:50Jan 21 8:43 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Jan 21 8:24 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 21 7:46 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26