Yakupov's goal lifts Oilers past Coyotes in OTJan 31, 2013 - 6:50 AM
On the power play in the extra session, a shot from Taylor Hall at the right point hit off the hand of Ray Whitney in the slot and popped into the air. Parked at the right side, Yakupov whacked it in for the winner.
Lennart Petrell scored the other goal, while Devan Dubnyk stopped 27 shots in the win for the Oilers, who have won three of their last four games.
Nick Johnson scored with 19 seconds left in regulation to help the Coyotes come away with one point. Chad Johnson made 19 saves as Phoenix lost for a fifth time in seven games thus far in the shortened season.
"I thought we competed hard and did some good things out there tonight," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett. "We had lots of chances out there in the third period to take the win, but we didn't do it and that's the way it goes sometimes."
The tying goal came late in the game and with Phoenix on the power play after Sam Gagner was called for interference. With Chad Johnson pulled for a 6-on-4, Radim Vrbata threw a backhand on net from the left circle that was stopped, but Nick Johnson was able to get the second rebound attempt in to force overtime.
"Dealing with that late goal and sticking with it to get the two points showed a lot of character," Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger said.
The only other goal in the game came 4:51 into the contest as Ryan Smyth tried a backhand wraparound from the left side that was stopped, but the rebound came out front and Petrell jammed it in for his first of the season.
Phoenix plays in Dallas on Friday to start a home-and-home with the Stars ... The Oilers play in San Jose on Thursday ... Phoenix won all four games against Edmonton last season and had won 10 of 11 coming into Wednesday's game.
- EDMONTON: 2
Final - OT
Jan 31 12:03 AM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Whitney, from Jeff Petry and Ales Hemsky at 3:52.
Oilers 2, Coyotes 1 OT - 1:08Jan 31 12:02 AM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of Regulation
Jan 30 11:54 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Nick Johnson (2), at 19:41.
Oilers 1, Coyotes 1 3rd - 0:19Jan 30 11:52 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 30 11:03 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 1st
Jan 30 10:13 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Lennart Petrell, at 4:51.
Oilers 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 15:09Jan 30 9:46 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 30 9:38 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25