Richards, Williams lead Kings past Blue JacketsFeb 6, 2013 - 7:19 AM
Anze Kopitar, Slava Voynov and Jeff Carter each added a goal for the Kings, who had dropped their previous two coming in. Jonathan Quick made 18 saves in the win.
"Quickie made a couple of big saves there in the third period," Richards said.
Derick Brassard and Derek MacKenzie scored for the Blue Jackets, who have dropped three of their last four. Steve Mason gave up all four goals on 31 shots in the loss.
"You just have to find ways to bounce back from games like this," said Mason. "It's always difficult to play in this league, you'll never get any easy games. We'll get things figured out here."
The only goal of the first period went to Columbus as the team took a 1-0 lead at the 13:02 mark when Fedor Tyutin sent a sharp pass from the left point on the rush to the front of the net, where it went off the skate of MacKenzie and past Quick.
Los Angeles tied the game just 32 seconds into the second period as Kopitar broke through a defender and chipped in a backhand for his third of the year.
The Kings took the lead just under four minutes later on the power play when Carter tried to throw the puck out front from the goal line and it went off the skate of Tyutin and in.
Columbus tied the game just over a minute later on Brassard's backhander from the slot, but the Kings grabbed the lead back five minutes later on a bullet shot from Voynov from the right point for a 3-2 lead.
Los Angeles put the game away with 6:16 to play as Williams made a move at the left circle to get closer to the net and his shot on Mason saw Richards sweep in the rebound.
Los Angeles continues its five-game road trip in Nashville on Thursday ... Columbus hosts Calgary on Thursday ... Each team won twice in the series last season ... LA was 1-for-3 on the power play, while Columbus was 0-for-3.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Feb 5 9:36 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Mike Richards, at 13:44.
Kings 4, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 6:16Feb 5 9:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 5 8:42 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Slava Voynov (2), at 10:26.
Kings 3, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 9:34Feb 5 8:22 PM
- Columbus Goal - Derick Brassard (2), at 5:36.
Kings 2, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 14:24Feb 5 8:13 PM
- Los Angeles Power-Play Goal - Anze Kopitar (4), from Jeff Carter at 4:25.
Kings 2, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 15:35Feb 5 8:09 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Anze Kopitar (3), at :32.
Kings 1, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 19:28Feb 5 8:01 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
End of 1st
Feb 5 7:42 PM
- Columbus Goal - Derek MacKenzie, at 13:02.
Kings 0, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 6:58Feb 5 7:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 5 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Doughty, Karlsson, Burns finalists for Norris Trophy Apr 29