Dubnyk stars as Oilers top Blue Jackets to end losing streakFeb 11, 2013 - 4:19 AM
Ales Hemsky scored in the first period for the Oilers, who put the brakes on a five-game skid despite being outshot 40-14.
Devan Dubnyk picked up the win with a season-high 39 saves.
"You need a goalie to steal one for you once in a while," Edmonton coach Ralph Krueger said of Dubnyk. "We were really flat as a team and he was just world class and outstanding all the way through."
R.J. Umberger picked up the lone score for the Blue Jackets, while Sergei Bobrovsky allowed two goals on 13 shots in defeat.
"We just gave them a couple of goals that we shouldn't have," Umberger said. "It doesn't matter how well you played. It's the two points that matter."
Paajarvi gave the Oilers a 2-1 lead with 3:10 left in regulation, one-timing a Gagner feed over Bobrovsky's shoulder while Edmonton was shorthanded.
Gagner then put the clincher into an empty net with 13 seconds on the clock.
Hemsky netted the game's first goal, flipping a loose puck created from a bad Bobrovsky clear into the net with 6:02 left in the opening period.
Umberger tied the game approaching the midway point of the third period, snapping his first goal of the season past Dubnyk.
Dubnyk's previous season high for saves was 37, accomplished on three separate occasions ... Umberger's last goal came in Columbus' final regular-season game, a 7-3 win over the Islanders on Apr. 7, 2012 ... Edmonton won three of four against Columbus last season.
- EDMONTON: 3
Feb 10 8:32 PM
- Edmonton Empty Net Goal - Sam Gagner (4), at 19:47.
Oilers 3, Blue Jackets 1 3rd - 0:13Feb 10 8:31 PM
- Edmonton Short-Handed Goal - Magnus Paajarvi, from Sam Gagner at 16:49.
Oilers 2, Blue Jackets 1 3rd - 3:11Feb 10 8:25 PM
- Columbus Goal - R.J. Umberger, at 9:43.
Oilers 1, Blue Jackets 1 3rd - 10:17Feb 10 8:10 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 10 7:37 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 1st
Feb 10 6:41 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ales Hemsky, at 13:58.
Oilers 1, Blue Jackets 0 1st - 6:02Feb 10 6:30 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 10 6:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21