Kings rally to down BluesMar 6, 2013 - 6:41 AM
Los Angeles trailed by three goals early in the second period, but scored five unanswered tallies to win for a seventh time in its past eight games.
Jake Muzzin had two goals and an assist, Mike Richards and Anze Kopitar each added a goal and an assist, Justin Williams gave three helpers and Slava Voynov also scored a goal for the Kings, who have won five straight at home.
"We got away with one tonight," Kopitar said. "When you get four goals in the third period that helps a lot. They backed off a little in the second period and we took advantage of it."
Jonathan Bernier was pulled after allowing three goals on eight shots while Jonathan Quick stopped 5-of-6 shots to get the win.
Chris Stewart, Alex Pietrangelo and David Perron each gave a goal and an assist and Vladimir Sobotka also scored for the Blues, who have lost five of their last seven.
"We got completely away from our game plan when they tied it up," Blues winger Ryan Reaves said.
Jaroslav Halak was pulled in the third period for giving up five goals on 21 shots while Brian Elliot gave up a goal on eight shots in relief.
It was a 4-1 game after Stewart scored 6 1/2 minutes into the second, but it was all Los Angeles from there.
The Kings made it a two-goal game with 6:22 to play in the second after Voynov threw the puck on net from the right boards and it made its way through traffic and the team dominated in the third period.
Just 1:33 in, Richards followed up his own rebound in the slot and put it in net for his sixth goal of the year and Muzzin tied it 59 seconds later on his second goal of the game as a shot from a sharp angle at the left side beat Halak to the short side.
Carter, who potted his fifth career hat trick on Monday, gave the Kings a 5-4 lead at the 6:09 mark when he took a pass from Muzzin at the left circle and beat Halak with a heavy wrister for a 5-4 lead.
Kopitar capped the scoring in the game with 5:09 to play when he snuck home a loose puck in the slot past Elliott for his seventh of the season.
The Blues took a 1-0 lead at the 15:09 mark of the first period when Pietrangelo's pass from the low left side hit off the skate of Voynov in front with Perron crashing the net.
Los Angeles tied the game just 43 seconds later when Muzzin's slap shot from the left point hit off a Blue on its way to the net, but the Blues took a 2-1 lead into the first intermission as Barret Jackman's left point shot was redirected in by Sobotka in front with 1:10 left in the frame.
It was a 3-1 game just 74 seconds into the second after Pietrangelo's slap shot from the right point was tipped in by Perron and that chased Bernier from the net.
The change didn't seem to help, though, as the Blues took a 4-1 lead just over five minutes later as Stewart's backhand shot from the low left side beat Quick over the right shoulder.
Carter has 15 goals on the season and trails Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos for the league-lead by two ... Despite the 10 combined goals, neither team scored on the power play as Los Angeles went 0-for-6 and St. Louis was 0-for-3 ... The Kings host Dallas on Thursday ... St. Louis continues its five-game road trip in Phoenix on Thursday ... Los Angeles has won five of six over St. Louis, including a 4-1 decision in St. Louis on Feb. 11.
- ST. LOUIS: 4
LOS ANGELES: 6
Mar 6 1:10 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Anze Kopitar (7), at 14:51.
Blues 4, Kings 6 3rd - 5:09Mar 6 1:03 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jeff Carter (15), from Jake Muzzin at 6:09.
Blues 4, Kings 5 3rd - 13:51Mar 6 12:44 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jake Muzzin, at 2:32.
Blues 4, Kings 4 3rd - 17:28Mar 6 12:36 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jeff Carter (15), at 1:33.
Blues 4, Kings 3 3rd - 18:27Mar 6 12:34 AM
- ST. LOUIS: 4
LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 6 12:14 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Slava Voynov (4), at 13:38.
Blues 4, Kings 2 2nd - 6:22Mar 6 12:02 AM
- St Louis Goal - Chris Stewart (8), at 6:30.
Blues 4, Kings 1 2nd - 13:30Mar 5 11:48 PM
- St Louis Goal - David Perron (8), at 1:14.
Blues 3, Kings 1 2nd - 18:46Mar 5 11:40 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 2
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 1st
Mar 5 11:20 PM
- St Louis Goal - Vladimir Sobotka (3), at 18:50.
Blues 2, Kings 1 1st - 1:10Mar 5 11:18 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jake Muzzin (3), at 15:52.
Blues 1, Kings 1 1st - 4:08Mar 5 11:10 PM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - David Perron (8), at 15:09.
Blues 1, Kings 0 1st - 4:51Mar 5 11:09 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 5 10:38 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18