Blues double up CoyotesMar 8, 2013 - 6:26 AM
Chris Stewart added a goal and two assists for the Blues, who snapped a two- game skid. Alex Pietrangelo had a goal and an assist, while Scott Nichol and Vladimir Sobotka each scored once.
With goaltending a concern, the Blues recalled rookie Jake Allen from Peoria of the American Hockey League following Tuesday's 6-4 loss to the Kings. Allen made 23 saves on Thursday.
Shane Doan, David Moss and Keith Yandle lit the lamp for the Coyotes, who have dropped two straight. Mike Smith stopped 23-of-29 shots.
"I don't think there's one area of our game that we can be too happy with," Doan said. "Everyone should be disappointed."
The Blues drew first blood at the 13:07 mark of the first period. Stewart put home a rebound off Pietrangelo's shot from the top of the right circle.
With 1:06 left in the opening frame, Moss snuck a shot past Allen on a breakaway. Moss' shorthanded goal made it 1-1.
Doan gave Phoenix the lead just 41 seconds into the middle frame. His slap shot from the slot got past Allen.
Berglund responded with a pair of goals to give St. Louis the lead back. First, Berglund put home a rebound at the 5:47 mark. Just over two minutes later, Berglund used a nice spin move before beating Smith with a backhander from the bottom of the right circle.
Nichol gave the Blues a 4-2 lead at the 10:23 mark of the second period. St. Louis forward Jaden Schwartz won a battle for the puck behind the net before passing to Nichol in front.
The Blues used some nice passing prior to scoring their fifth goal of the contest. Sobotka and Stewart passed the puck back-and-forth before the former lit the lamp at the 6:53 mark of the third stanza.
Pietrangelo knocked home a rebound at the 15:04 mark to make it 6-2. Yandle scored with 25 seconds left to account for the final margin.
"We were hungry for a win tonight and put in a 60-minute effort," Stewart said.
This was the first of three meetings this season. St. Louis took three of four from Phoenix last season ... David Perron had a career-high four assists for the Blues, who went 0-for-3 on the power play ... The Coyotes went 1-for-5 on the power play.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
Mar 7 11:33 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Keith Yandle, at 19:35.
Blues 6, Coyotes 3 3rd - 0:25Mar 7 11:31 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alex Pietrangelo (5), at 15:04.
Blues 6, Coyotes 2 3rd - 4:56Mar 7 11:25 PM
- St Louis Goal at 6:53.
Blues 5, Coyotes 2 3rd - 13:07Mar 7 11:05 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 7 10:34 PM
- St Louis Goal - Scott Nichol, at 10:23.
Blues 4, Coyotes 2 2nd - 9:37Mar 7 10:17 PM
- St Louis Goal - Patrik Berglund, at 7:58.
Blues 3, Coyotes 2 2nd - 12:02Mar 7 10:13 PM
- St Louis Goal - Patrik Berglund (10), from Barret Jackman and David Perron at 5:47.
Blues 2, Coyotes 2 2nd - 14:13Mar 7 10:08 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan (7), at :40.
Blues 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 19:20Mar 7 10:00 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 1
End of 1st
Mar 7 9:41 PM
- Phoenix Short-Handed Goal - David Moss (3), at 18:53.
Blues 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 1:07Mar 7 9:38 PM
- St Louis Goal - Chris Stewart (9), from Alex Pietrangelo and David Perron at 13:07.
Blues 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 6:53Mar 7 9:29 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 7 9:09 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18