Zetterberg, Abdelkader star in Detroit's win at VancouverMar 17, 2013 - 6:44 AM
Daniel Cleary also had a goal while Pavel Datsyuk added three assists for the Red Wings, who have won their past two games. Jimmy Howard posted 33 saves in the win.
Alexandre Burrows scored both goals for the Canucks, who had a two-game winning streak stopped. Roberto Luongo gave up all five goals on 26 shots in the loss.
"It was a disappointing result tonight," said Luongo. "Their goalie had a great game tonight and I struggled out there. Just have to forget about this one and get back to work tomorrow."
The Canucks struck just six seconds into the game as Daniel Sedin sent a pass from the left wing to the right where Burrows one-timed it off the post.
The Red Wings tied the game six minutes later on Abdelkader's first of the game. Datsyuk's pass from the right circle to the front was tipped in by Abdelkader.
"Today was a tough start, but we just stuck with it and tried to keep it simple," said Zetterberg.
Zetterberg's one-timer from in front at the 13:57 mark of the second on the power play gave Detroit a lead, and it held up 1:20 later when Jannik Hansen was awarded a penalty shot, but he hit the post.
It was a 3-1 game 1:20 into the third on Zetterberg's second of the game and Cleary gave Detroit a three-goal lead at the 5:57 mark as his shot from the top of the right circle went off the left post and in.
Abdelkader scored with 5:16 to play and Burrows' second of the game with 2:38 left capped the scoring.
Detroit hosts Minnesota on Wednesday ... Vancouver hosts Minnesota on Monday ... Detroit has won both games against Vancouver this season ... Burrows' first goal set a franchise record for fastest goal from the start of the game. The previous record was nine seconds in 1994 ... Vancouver forward David Booth left the game in the first period with a lower-body injury.
- DETROIT: 5
Mar 17 12:45 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexandre Burrows (7), from Alexander Edler and Kevin Bieksa at 17:22.
Red Wings 5, Canucks 2 3rd - 2:38Mar 17 12:41 AM
- Detroit Goal - Justin Abdelkader (3), from Pavel Datsyuk and Jakub Kindl at 14:44.
Red Wings 5, Canucks 1 3rd - 5:16Mar 17 12:36 AM
- Detroit Goal - Daniel Cleary (6), from Joakim Andersson and Damien Brunner at 5:57.
Red Wings 4, Canucks 1 3rd - 14:03Mar 17 12:15 AM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (8), from Valtteri Filppula and Niklas Kronwall at 1:20.
Red Wings 3, Canucks 1 3rd - 18:40Mar 17 12:06 AM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 16 11:45 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (7), from Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen at 13:57.
Red Wings 2, Canucks 1 2nd - 6:03Mar 16 11:33 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 1st
Mar 16 10:49 PM
- Detroit Goal - Justin Abdelkader (2), from Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen at 6:08.
Red Wings 1, Canucks 1 1st - 13:52Mar 16 10:24 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexandre Burrows (6), from Daniel Sedin and Alexander Edler at :06.
Red Wings 0, Canucks 1 1st - 19:54Mar 16 10:16 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 16 10:16 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22
- Bishop shines, Lightning eliminate Red Wings in 5 games Apr 22