Schroeder helps Canucks slip past CoyotesMar 22, 2013 - 6:59 AM Glendale, AZ (Sports Network) - Jordan Schroeder scored a tie-breaking goal midway through the third period, Cory Schneider made 33 saves and the Vancouver Canucks edged the Phoenix Coyotes, 2-1.
Christopher Tanev supplied the other goal for the Canucks, who have won two straight games and four of six overall.
"It wasn't necessarily pretty all the time, a Picasso, but it was effective," Schneider said.
Phoenix starting goaltender Mike Smith was shaken up late in the second period after being charged by Vancouver's Alexander Edler and was replaced by Jason LaBarbera to start the third.
Smith stopped 16 shots, while LaBarbera finished with 14 saves in relief for a Phoenix team that has dropped five games in a row.
The Coyotes were trailing when Edler received a five-minute major with 1:43 remaining in the frame.
A Martin Hanzal roughing minor delayed the start of the power play, then the Coyotes found themselves having to kill a penalty. Shane Doan went off for hooking with 35 seconds left before the second intermission.
After the penalty-killing unit did its job, the Coyotes' power play finally went to work.
Radim Vrbata gathered Oliver Ekman-Larsson's cross-ice pass and put a shot on net. Schneider turned away Vrbata's bid from the left circle, but Antoine Vermette potted the rebound from the right side of the crease, tying things up at the 2:26 mark of the third period.
The Canucks regained the lead at 9:53, with Edler playing a role in the go- ahead tally. The Vancouver defenseman fired a left-point shot that Jannik Hansen knocked down and Schroeder slipped the puck past a surprised LaBarbera.
Tanev lit the lamp 6:32 into the contest.
"There's absolutely no reason we can't do better," Doan said.
Hansen played in his 300th career game ... The Canucks have earned at least one point in their last seven (4-0-3) trips to Phoenix.
- VANCOUVER: 2
Mar 22 12:42 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Jordan Schroeder (3), from Alexander Edler at 9:53.
Canucks 2, Coyotes 1 3rd - 10:07Mar 22 12:21 AM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Antoine Vermette (7), from Radim Vrbata and Oliver Ekman-Larsson at 2:26.
Canucks 1, Coyotes 1 3rd - 17:34Mar 22 12:03 AM
- VANCOUVER: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 21 11:41 PM
- VANCOUVER: 1
End of 1st
Mar 21 10:41 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Chris Tanev (2), at 6:31.
Canucks 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 13:29Mar 21 10:17 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 21 10:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19
- Coyotes to buy Springfield Falcons, move AHL club to Tucson Apr 19
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Arizona Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney Apr 11