Coyotes pick up key win over OilersApr 11, 2013 - 6:51 AM
Antoine Vermette also scored and Mike Smith stopped 29 shots for the Coyotes, who moved within one point of the Detroit Red Wings for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
"This was a do-or-die game for either team," Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said. "We got the points and we're still in the race."
Nail Yakupov tallied the lone goal for the Oilers, who have dropped four straight. Devan Dubnyk made 29 saves in the setback.
"It was too little too late for the result we needed, which was points," Oilers coach Ralph Krueger said. "It's a tough one to swallow. There are no points to give any more. We're not giving up. We need to do everything possible to win the next game."
Gordon's wrister 37 seconds into the second period gave the visitors a 1-0 lead. Gordon took the puck on the goal line and fired it on net. The disc bounced off Dubnyk and into the net for Gordon's fourth goal of the season.
Vermette's goal with 11 minutes left in the middle session proved to be the difference maker. Dubnyk went behind the net to recover a loose puck and tried to clear it out of the zone, but the disc went right to Vermette, who buried into the back of the net.
Yakupov pounded home a rebound with 12:11 left in the game to make it 2-1. Ryan Smyth found Yakupov with a shovel pass as he broke for the net and beat Smith with a wrister for his 10th tally of the season.
Moss' goal with nine seconds left accounted for the final margin.
The Coyotes improved to 13-0-1 when leading after two periods this season ... The Oilers had a three-game home winning streak snapped ... Edmonton sits four points behind the Red Wings.
- PHOENIX: 3
Apr 11 12:08 AM
- Phoenix Goal - David Moss, at 19:51.
Coyotes 3, Oilers 1 3rd - 0:09Apr 11 12:07 AM
- Edmonton Goal - Nail Yakupov, from Ryan Smyth at 7:49.
Coyotes 2, Oilers 1 3rd - 12:11Apr 10 11:40 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 10 11:05 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Antoine Vermette (9), at 9:00.
Coyotes 2, Oilers 0 2nd - 11:00Apr 10 10:45 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Boyd Gordon (4), at :37.
Coyotes 1, Oilers 0 2nd - 19:23Apr 10 10:31 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
End of 1st
Apr 10 10:11 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 10 9:38 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25