Ducks top struggling IslandersDec 10, 2013 - 6:39 AM
Perry has scored a goal in six straight games and has totaled eight goals and three assists over an eight-game point streak.
Cam Fowler posted a goal and two assists, while Andrew Cogliano and Saku Koivu also scored for the Ducks, who have won three straight. Jonas Hiller turned aside 35 shots in the win.
"You're always pleased when you get two points," said Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau. "Whether you play good or not, the two points are important. They came out and played really hard. We weren't ready for them. But it seemed like every time they were outplaying us, we got a goal. We just hung around long enough to get our legs, and once we got to 3-2 and 4-2 on the same shift, I think it took the heart out of them a little bit."
Thomas Vanek and John Tavares each had a goal and an assist for the Islanders, who have now dropped 10 straight games(0-8-2). Anders Nilsson gave up all five goals on 31 shots.
It's the longest losing streak for the club since a team-record 14 game slide (0-11-3) from Oct. 23-Nov. 24, 2010.
"Did some good things but like I said in the last few weeks, good things aren't what we want," said Tavares. "We want wins, points, and to move up in the standings. That's what matters. It's disappointing once again."
The Islanders took the initial lead in the game at the 9:17 mark of the first period on the power play as Tavares swept the puck in from the right side.
Anaheim tied the contest with 4:06 left in the first period as Fowler got a shot on net from the left point and Koivu backhanded home the rebound from the right side.
New York took a 2-1 lead at 4:17 of the second period, as Tavares won a left circle faceoff back to Vanek, who wristed it home for his ninth of the season.
The Ducks tied the game at 12:41 of the second after Daniel Winnik sent a backhand pass from the left side to the right through three defenders and Cogliano one-timed it in.
While skating shorthanded, the Ducks got on the board on a 3-on-1 break as Matt Beleskey sent a shot from the left circle that was stopped, but the rebound kicked out to the right side where Fowler banged it in with 33.6 seconds to play in the second.
Anaheim took a 4-2 lead into the break as Perry came out of the box and skated in down the slot. He deked past one player and was tripped up, but got a shot off from his knees that beat Nilsson with 1.7 seconds left in the second.
"Winnie [Daniel Winnik] just dropped it to me and I knew there were only seconds left, so I had to make a move," said Perry of the goal. "The guy tripped me, and as I was falling on my knees, I got it and found a way to squeak it in."
Perry scored his 20th of the season off a tip-in on the power play at 7:40 of the third to account for the final score.
Anaheim hosts Minnesota on Wednesday ... New York plays in San Jose on Tuesday ... The Ducks have won four of the last five games against the Islanders ... Anaheim was 1-for-2 on the power play, while New York went just 1-for-4 ... Anaheim's Ryan Getzlaf had an assist in the game and is now riding a 12-game point streak (6g, 9a), the longest active streak in the league and one game shy of matching the NHL's longest this season.
- NEW YORK: 2
Dec 10 12:37 AM
- Anaheim Power-Play Goal - Corey Perry (20), at 7:40.
Islanders 2, Ducks 5 3rd - 12:20Dec 10 12:19 AM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 9 11:45 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Corey Perry (19), at 19:58.
Islanders 2, Ducks 4 2nd - 0:02Dec 9 11:44 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Cam Fowler, from Matt Beleskey at 19:27.
Islanders 2, Ducks 3 2nd - 0:33Dec 9 11:43 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Andrew Cogliano (9), at 12:41.
Islanders 2, Ducks 2 2nd - 7:19Dec 9 11:26 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Thomas Vanek (9), from John Tavares at 4:17.
Islanders 2, Ducks 1 2nd - 15:43Dec 9 11:13 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Dec 9 10:48 PM
- Thomas Vanek shot on Jonas Hiller.
Islanders 1, Ducks 1 1st - 3:45Dec 9 10:41 PM
- Cam Fowler slap shot on Anders Nilsson.
Islanders 1, Ducks 0 1st - 4:08Dec 9 10:39 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Saku Koivu (3), from Cam Fowler at 15:54.
Islanders 1, Ducks 1 1st - 4:06Dec 9 10:39 PM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal - John Tavares (12), from Thomas Vanek at 9:17.
Islanders 1, Ducks 0 1st - 10:43Dec 9 10:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 9 10:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Bruce Boudreau agrees to terms to coach Minnesota Wild May 7
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7