Bruins deal Red Wings first loss of seasonOct 6, 2013 - 7:10 AM Boston, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - Brad Marchand scored less than a minute into the second to spark a string of three unanswered goals from Boston, as the Bruins rallied past the Detroit Red Wings, 4-1, on Saturday at TD Garden.
Torey Krug notched a goal and an assist, while Jordan Caron and Zdeno Chara added a goal apiece for the Bruins, who have won back-to-back games to begin the defense of their Eastern Conference championship.
"There's so many things that we have to continue to work on to get better," Krug said. "It's a process; it doesn't just happen."
Tuukka Rask turned away 25-of-26 shots in the triumph.
Henrik Zetterberg scored the lone Detroit marker, while Jimmy Howard allowed all four goals on 37 shots for the Red Wings, who had won their first two games.
With the score locked at 1-1 after 20 minutes, Marchand broke the tie just 36 seconds into second, as he skated down the right wing and wristed a shot from the circle that sailed past the far side of Howard to make it 2-1.
Caron extended the lead just under 7 1/2 minutes later when he buried a one- timer from the low right circle off a slick backhand feed from Reilly Smith to push the margin to 3-1.
Chara's power-play tally in the third put the game away, as the burly Boston defender took a quick feed from Krug before switching to his backhand and lifting the disc over a sprawling Howard to make it 4-1 with 7:43 left.
Rask, who stopped all 15 shots he faced in the second, registered six saves over the final 20 minutes to keep the Red Wings at bay.
Early on, Detroit's Niklas Kronwall went off for holding at 8:56 of the first frame and Krug cashed in just 15 seconds later, blasting a one-timer from the high slot through a Chara screen and past Howard to put the Bruins in front.
"It's not easy when there's someone that's 6-foot-9 standing in front of you," Howard said of Chara's screen. "It's something that you've got to figure out, and find a way to try and find the puck."
The Red Wings responded with 3:11 left in the period, as a long rebound off the pad of Rask ended up in the left circle, where Zetterberg corralled it before rifling the puck over the left shoulder of the Boston netminder to tie the game.
The Bruins had lost four straight meetings against the Red Wings and hadn't defeated Detroit since a similar 4-1 result on Nov. 29, 2008 ... Smith's brother, Brendan, plays defense for Detroit and notched one shot in 18:43 of ice time ... Boston went 2-for-4 on the power play, while Detroit failed on both its chances on the man advantage.
- DETROIT: 1
Oct 5 9:34 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Zdeno Chara, at 12:17.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 4 3rd - 7:43Oct 5 9:19 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 5 8:43 PM
- Boston Goal - Jordan Caron, at 7:58.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 3 2nd - 12:02Oct 5 8:18 PM
- Boston Goal - Brad Marchand, at :36.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 2 2nd - 19:24Oct 5 8:02 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 1st
Oct 5 7:44 PM
- Justin Abdelkader wrist shot on Tuukka Rask.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 1 1st - 3:11Oct 5 7:39 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Torey Krug, at 9:06.
Red Wings 0, Bruins 1 1st - 10:54Oct 5 7:23 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 5 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24