Bruins pepper Scrivens, beat Oilers for 12th straight timeFeb 1, 2014 - 11:28 PM
David Krejci also lit the lamp, while Zdeno Chara added a pair of assists for the Bruins, winners in five of their last six overall. Boston hasn't tasted defeat against its former rivals on home ice since 1996.
"Well, I think so -- a much better game tonight in all aspects of it," said Bruins head coach Claude Julien comparing Thursday's listless 4-1 loss at home to Montreal. "Thought that goal by Dougie kind of made everybody relax a little bit more and our game seemed to get better after that too."
Ben Scrivens was dented for all four tallies on 41 shots for the Oilers, who haven't beaten Boston since a 6-1 decision on Oct. 17, 2000.
The beleaguered Edmonton netminder, who made an NHL shutout record 59 saves in his last outing against San Jose, stopped 21-of-22 shots through two periods to keep his club close. He couldn't stop all of a late 19-shot barrage by the best team in the Atlantic.
Hamilton's wraparound try at the left post popped off Scrivens' pad and in for a 2-0 Boston advantage at 6:43 of the third period.
Soderberg's shot high and to the glove side with 6:55 remaining sealed it for the hosts, then Krug tallied more than 2 1/2 minutes later to provide a four- goal spread.
Johnson completed his second career whitewash by turning away 10 Oilers chances over the final 20 minutes.
"That's a team that I think every team in the league aspires to be defensively. They don't give up much," Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins said. "We talked about it before the game, that this team is just going to sit there, they are comfortable in a 0-0 or 1-0 game, and if you make a mistake they are going to pounce and then they are going to go back and set up their traps again."
The Bruins finally solved Scrivens on the advantage at 2:06 of the second period, when a Jarome Iginla shot from the right point sailed through traffic thanks to a Krejci deflection before rippling the net.
It appeared to be 2-0 at 8:32. Soderberg moved into the left circle and slid a pass across the top of the crease to Loui Eriksson, which deflected off his right skate and in. Review determined a kicking motion which negated the score.
Scrivens kept it a one-goal margin by stopping Daniel Paille's short-handed breakaway with roughly 4 1/2 minutes left in the middle stanza.
Scrivens stopped 102 consecutive shots before Krejci's marker and held the opposition scoreless for 126 minutes, 41 seconds ... Johnson's only other career shutout came with the Phoenix Coyotes, a 21-save performance in a 4-0 win over Nashville on Jan. 28, 2013 ... Edmonton fell to 0-8-1 in the Hub since taking a 6-0 decision on Nov. 7, 1996.
- EDMONTON: 0
Feb 1 3:33 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Torey Krug (12), at 15:42.
Oilers 0, Bruins 4 3rd - 4:18Feb 1 3:24 PM
- Boston Goal - Carl Soderberg (8), at 13:05.
Oilers 0, Bruins 3 3rd - 6:55Feb 1 3:19 PM
- Boston Goal - Dougie Hamilton (6), at 6:43.
Oilers 0, Bruins 2 3rd - 13:17Feb 1 3:04 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 2nd
Feb 1 2:37 PM
- David Krejci snap shot on Ben Scrivens.
Oilers 0, Bruins 1 2nd - 10:16Feb 1 2:18 PM
- Boston Goal - Loui Eriksson (7), at 8:32.
Oilers 0, Bruins 2 2nd - 11:28Feb 1 2:13 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - David Krejci (12), at 2:06.
Oilers 0, Bruins 1 2nd - 17:54Feb 1 2:01 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Feb 1 1:40 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 1 1:08 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13