Bruins beat Rangers to sweep season seriesMar 3, 2014 - 4:34 AM
Dougie Hamilton had a goal and two assists and Jarome Iginla and Milan Lucic each had one goal and one helper for the Bruins, who got their first win since the Olympics (1-1-1) to avoid their first three-game losing streak since the last year's Stanley Cup finals.
"We just needed to get over that hump," Bruins head coach Claude Julien said. "Once we scored that first goal, it just seemed like everybody relaxed and we got better."
Carl Soderberg had the other Boston goal and 10 Bruins players had points in the game, including six with at least two.
Brad Richards, Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller scored for the Rangers and Henrik Lundqvist allowed six goals on 33 shots.
"They worked hard, but their goals were unbelievable with the bounces they got -- a couple of deflections and a post and in," Lundqvist said.
The Bruins swept the season series between the teams for the first time since 1982-83, when they also went 3-0.
Hamilton scored from the slot 4:04 into the second period to give Boston the lead for good. Soderberg scored from his knees 5 1/2 minutes later to make it 3-1 and Richards cut New York's deficit in half on a wrister from the right circle that beat Rask on the far side with 3:07 left in the second period.
With Hamilton off for sending the puck over the glass, Campbell scored 9:04 into the third period to make it 4-2 on a deke in the slot after a centering pass from Loui Eriksson.
Boston's fifth goal went off Campbell's right skate after Daniel Paille sent it in front from the left boards. The play was reviewed and upheld as a goal.
McDonagh scored under two minutes later on a power play after the Rangers won a faceoff in the Boston zone. Lucic got his goal on a deflection with 1:36 left.
Earlier, Miller scored on a breakaway 3:20 into the game after Boston turned the puck over near the blue at the other side of the ice. Iginla tied it for Boston with 1:53 left in the period on a redirect in the crease.
The Bruins have two upcoming home games, Tuesday against Florida and Thursday against Washington ... The Rangers, who are 1-2-0 since the Olympic break, remain home to play Toronto on Wednesday ... Sunday marked only the sixth time in the last 27 meetings between the teams that the game wasn't decided by one goal.
- BOSTON: 6
NEW YORK: 3
Mar 2 9:48 PM
- Boston Goal - Milan Lucic (19), at 18:24.
Bruins 6, Rangers 3 3rd - 1:36Mar 2 9:45 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Ryan McDonagh, at 15:18.
Bruins 5, Rangers 3 3rd - 4:42Mar 2 9:39 PM
- Boston Goal - Gregory Campbell, at 13:26.
Bruins 5, Rangers 2 3rd - 6:34Mar 2 9:33 PM
- Boston Short-Handed Goal - Gregory Campbell (4), at 9:04.
Bruins 4, Rangers 2 3rd - 10:56Mar 2 9:23 PM
- BOSTON: 3
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 2 8:50 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards (16), at 16:53.
Bruins 3, Rangers 2 2nd - 3:07Mar 2 8:44 PM
- Boston Goal - Carl Soderberg (10), at 9:34.
Bruins 3, Rangers 1 2nd - 10:26Mar 2 8:26 PM
- Boston Goal - Dougie Hamilton (7), at 4:04.
Bruins 2, Rangers 1 2nd - 15:56Mar 2 8:18 PM
- BOSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Mar 2 7:54 PM
- Boston Goal - Jarome Iginla, at 18:07.
Bruins 1, Rangers 1 1st - 1:53Mar 2 7:50 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - J.T. Miller (3), at 3:20.
Bruins 0, Rangers 1 1st - 16:40Mar 2 7:21 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 2 7:15 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24