Bruins score four in third to down PanthersMar 10, 2014 - 2:16 AM
Chris Kelly, Torey Krug and Jarome Iginla each scored a goal for the Bruins, who have ripped off five straight wins. Chad Johnson gave up two goals on 22 shots in the win.
Jimmy Hayes scored both goals for the Panthers, who have lost six of their last eight. Roberto Luongo gave up four goals on 41 shots in defeat.
Boston took a 2-1 lead at 7:38 of the third as Brad Marchand skated down the right wing and sent a turnaround pass over to the slot where Krug backhanded it home for his 13th of the year.
The Bruins gave themselves some room with a power-play goal as the team peppered Luongo with shots, finally getting one through on a one-timer from Bergeron from the right circle at 11:21.
"They came out hard in the third," said Luongo.
Florida got one back just 29 seconds later as Jonathan Huberdeau's wraparound from the right side was stopped, but Hayes was there to push in the rebound.
Iginla, though, scored his 550th career goal just 23 seconds later on a wrister from the slot during a rush play, and Kelly's empty-netter with just over a minute to play sealed the win.
Boston moved one point ahead of idle Pittsburgh for first place in the Eastern Conference.
"We talked about it before the game that Pittsburgh wasn't playing tonight and we were only one point behind them, so it was a big game for us and I think we played a solid road game to come out with the two points," said Bergeron.
Florida drew first blood when Nick Bjugstad's shot from the right circle was stopped, but the rebound came to the left side and Hayes was there to slam it home at the seven-minute mark of the second period.
The Bruins, however, answered less than three minutes later on the power play as Andrej Meszaros' shot from the right point was deflected in by Soderberg in front.
Luongo stopped all 12 shots he faced in the first period, while Johnson made seven saves.
Boston plays in Montreal on Wednesday ... Florida hosts Phoenix on Tuesday ... The Bruins won all five meetings with the Panthers this season, and eight straight overall ... Boston went 2-for-4 on the power play, while Florida was 0-for-4.
- BOSTON: 5
Mar 9 7:42 PM
- Shot blocked by Dylan Olsen.
Bruins 5, Panthers 2 3rd - 0:35Mar 9 7:41 PM
- Shot blocked by Chris Kelly.
Bruins 4, Panthers 2 3rd - 1:09Mar 9 7:40 PM
- Boston Empty Net Goal - Chris Kelly (6), at 18:52.
Bruins 5, Panthers 2 3rd - 1:08Mar 9 7:39 PM
- Boston Goal - Jarome Iginla (20), from Milan Lucic and Zdeno Chara at 12:13.
Bruins 4, Panthers 2 3rd - 7:47Mar 9 7:26 PM
- Florida Goal - Jimmy Hayes, at 11:50.
Bruins 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 8:10Mar 9 7:24 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Patrice Bergeron (18), at 11:21.
Bruins 3, Panthers 1 3rd - 8:39Mar 9 7:23 PM
- Boston Goal - Torey Krug (13), from Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron at 7:38.
Bruins 2, Panthers 1 3rd - 12:22Mar 9 7:16 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 9 6:43 PM
- Andrej Meszaros slap shot on Roberto Luongo.
Bruins 0, Panthers 1 2nd - 10:02Mar 9 6:24 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Andrej Meszaros (6), at 9:58.
Bruins 1, Panthers 1 2nd - 10:02Mar 9 6:22 PM
- Florida Goal - Sean Bergenheim, at 7:00.
Bruins 0, Panthers 1 2nd - 13:00Mar 9 6:16 PM
- BOSTON: 0
End of 1st
Mar 9 5:43 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 9 5:09 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25