Bolts shock Sabres on Killorn's OT strikeOct 9, 2013 - 5:54 AM Buffalo, NY (SportsNetwork.com) - Alex Killorn scored the game-winner just 1:50 into overtime to lead the Tampa Bay Lightning to a 3-2 win over the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday.
Killorn corralled a loose puck on the left side of the net, skated around the to the right and lifted one over Jhonas Enroth's glove to provide the game winner.
Teddy Purcell and Tyler Johnson also lit the lamp for the Lightning, who improved to 2-1 on the year. Ben Bishop made 21 saves in the win.
"We dug ourselves in a little hole but we showed a lot of resiliency and character and that's good to see that early on," Purcell said.
Jamie McBain and Cody Hodgson each scored a goal for the Sabres, who have opened the season with four straight losses for the first time in franchise history. Enroth stopped 32 shots in defeat.
After having just six shots on goal midway through the second period, Hodgson potted a power-play goal to give Buffalo the lead. Thomas Vanek took a pass in front of the net, but missed wide to the left and Hodgson was there to clean up the miss at 11:09.
Johnson tied the game just over two minutes later. Victor Hedman led a 3-on-2 two rush into the Buffalo zone, spun and sent a backhanded pass to Johnson on the right wing for a successful wrister past Enroth.
McBain added a goal with just 1:26 left in the middle session. After a cross- ice pass was deflected near the blue line, McBain skated in and fired a wrister from the point to give the Sabres a 2-1 lead.
A controversial high-sticking call nullified a Vanek goal, and gave the Lightning the decisive power play.
"I tipped it in, and the next thing I know he's waving it off and pointing at me that I got 2 minutes," Vanek said. "I just thought he was wrong, but it doesn't matter. Me yelling and screaming at him is just going to get him mad and get them more power plays."
Purcell tied the game with a power-play tally nearly six minutes into the final frame. Martin St. Louis found Ryan Malone behind the net. Malone centered the disc to Purcell, who was crashing the net, and the right winger deposited it into the back of the net.
Tampa Bay has won just twice in the last five meetings between these teams ... The Sabres had scored just two goals entering the contest ... Tampa Bay outshot the Sabres 34-23.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Final - OT
Oct 8 10:11 PM
- Eric Brewer wrist shot on Jhonas Enroth.
Lightning 2, Sabres 2 OT - 3:13Oct 8 10:10 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal at 1:50.
Lightning 3, Sabres 2 OT - 3:10Oct 8 10:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of Regulation
Oct 8 10:06 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Teddy Purcell (2), from Ryan Malone and Martin St. Louis at 5:43.
Lightning 2, Sabres 2 3rd - 14:17Oct 8 9:38 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 8 9:14 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jamie McBain, at 18:34.
Lightning 1, Sabres 2 2nd - 1:26Oct 8 9:07 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tyler Johnson, at 13:35.
Lightning 1, Sabres 1 2nd - 6:25Oct 8 8:57 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Cody Hodgson, at 11:09.
Lightning 0, Sabres 1 2nd - 8:51Oct 8 8:53 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Oct 8 8:16 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 8 7:40 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17