Blue Jackets down SabresOct 11, 2013 - 5:24 AM
Cam Atkinson scored once and added an assist, while Brandon Dubinksy and Nick Foligno registered a goal apiece for the Blue Jackets, who have won two straight since opening the season with a 4-3 loss to Calgary.
"It was a bit of a run-and-gun game," said Dubinsky. "It's really not the way we want to play, but I thought we were able to our style later in the second period and the third."
Reigning Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 26-of-27 shots in the triumph.
Thomas Vanek tallied the lone Buffalo marker, while Ryan Miller, who missed Tuesday's tilt with a groin injury, allowed all four goals on 33 shots for the winless the Sabres, who have dropped five straight.
Buffalo hasn't gone this far into a season without a win since opening the 1999-2000 season with five losses and two ties.
"We have guys in this room who can make plays," Miller said. "We have to get past this hump."
Vanek's slick tip-in tally at the 8:50 mark of the first period tied the game, but the Blue Jackets potted a pair of goals in a 2:13 span late in the frame to seize control.
Foligno started the surge at the 16:35 mark, with his backhand pass from the low left side deflecting off a pair of Sabres defenders in front before sneaking past Miller to give Columbus a 2-1 edge.
Just over two minutes later, Atkinson and Gaborik skated in on a 2-on-1 rush, with Atkinson carrying the puck down the left wing and waiting for a Buffalo defender to drop before setting up Gaborik's one-timer from the low right side that made it 3-1 with 1:12 left in the period.
Dubinsky padded the lead early in the second, pounding in a long rebound from the slot off a David Savard point blast to push the margin to 4-1 just 2:11 into the stanza.
Bobrovsky made the lead stand from there, turning away all 16 shots he faced over the final 40 minutes to keep Columbus in front.
The Blue Jackets opened the scoring just under two minutes in, as Gaborik flipped a wrister from the high slot that hit the post, but Atkinson was there on the low left side to tap in the rebound for a 1-0 lead at the 1:51 mark.
The Sabres answered just under eight minutes later, as Steve Ott recovered a pass in the low left corner and slid a no-look feed to the front of the net for Vanek, who made a nifty play to tip the puck in with his stick between his legs, tying the game with 11:10 left in the first period.
Columbus defenseman Ryan Murray assisted on Gaborik's goal for his first career point ... Foligno's younger brother, Marcus, plays left wing for the Sabres and finished with one shot in 14:56 of ice time ... Vanek notched his 252nd career goal to tie Craig Ramsey for fifth on Buffalo's all-time list ... Columbus finished 0-for-4 on the power play, while Buffalo failed on its only opportunity with the man advantage.
- COLUMBUS: 4
Oct 10 9:33 PM
- COLUMBUS: 4
End of 2nd
Oct 10 8:42 PM
- Columbus Goal - Brandon Dubinsky, at 2:11.
Blue Jackets 4, Sabres 1 2nd - 17:49Oct 10 8:07 PM
- COLUMBUS: 3
End of 1st
Oct 10 7:45 PM
- Columbus Goal - Marian Gaborik (2), from Cam Atkinson at 18:48.
Blue Jackets 3, Sabres 1 1st - 1:12Oct 10 7:44 PM
- Columbus Goal - R.J. Umberger, from Nick Foligno and Ryan Johansen at 16:35.
Blue Jackets 2, Sabres 1 1st - 3:25Oct 10 7:40 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Thomas Vanek (2), at 8:50.
Blue Jackets 1, Sabres 1 1st - 11:10Oct 10 7:24 PM
- Matt Calvert wrist shot on Ryan Miller.
Blue Jackets 1, Sabres 0 1st - 15:17Oct 10 7:17 PM
- Marian Gaborik slap shot hit the goalpost.
Blue Jackets 0, Sabres 0 1st - 18:11Oct 10 7:16 PM
- Columbus Goal - Cam Atkinson, at 1:51.
Blue Jackets 1, Sabres 0 1st - 18:09Oct 10 7:11 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 10 7:09 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Ducks, Preds hope to get rolling early in first-round series Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12