St. Louis, Palat lift Lightning over SabresOct 27, 2013 - 6:31 AM
Tyler Johnson had a goal and an assist, and Ben Bishop made 20 stops for the Lightning, who won for the fourth time in five games. The completed their season-long, seven-game homestand with a 5-2-0 record and have won seven of their last nine overall.
Thomas Vanek and Brian Flynn scored for the Sabres, who fell to 2-10-1 on the season. Ryan Miller made 36 saves.
"I think we took too many penalties," Vanek said. "Miller kept us in the game. We got the lead but they kept coming. It's disappointing. We battled hard and walked away with nothing."
Vanek scored from the bottom of the left circle off a feed from Marcus Foligno with 7:14 left in regulation.
Steven Stamkos sent the puck from the left circle to the right one for St. Louis' tying tally with 5:51 left.
Palat then netted his third of the season with 4:05 remaining off a rebound in front after Johnson's attempt from in close was turned away.
The Sabres pulled Miller for an extra attacker with 1:25 left, but could never put any pressure on net. Buffalo had just three shots in the final period.
"Good teams find a way to win," St. Louis said. "It's not always going to be perfect, we're not looking for perfection, we're looking for results."
Johnson scored on the power play at 12:48 of the first period, but Flynn tied it at 12:58 of the season on a tap-in from in front.
The Sabres are 26-11-3 on the road against the Lightning all-time ... The Sabres have lost consecutive road games to the Lightning for only the third time in franchise history ... Buffalo was 0-for-3 on the power play, while Tampa Bay was 1-for-6.
- BUFFALO: 2
TAMPA BAY: 3
Oct 26 9:31 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ondrej Palat, from Tyler Johnson at 15:55.
Sabres 2, Lightning 3 3rd - 4:05Oct 26 9:25 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (6), from Steven Stamkos and Radko Gudas at 14:09.
Sabres 2, Lightning 2 3rd - 5:51Oct 26 9:19 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Thomas Vanek (4), from Marcus Foligno at 12:46.
Sabres 2, Lightning 1 3rd - 7:14Oct 26 9:13 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 26 8:38 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Brian Flynn, from Cody McCormick at 12:58.
Sabres 1, Lightning 1 2nd - 7:02Oct 26 8:25 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Oct 26 7:43 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Tyler Johnson (3), at 12:48.
Sabres 0, Lightning 1 1st - 7:12Oct 26 7:32 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 26 7:10 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17