Sabres offer cure for Red Wings' woesNov 25, 2013 - 3:58 AM
Franzen let go a shot from the right circle and the puck deflected off the leg of Buffalo defenseman Alexander Sulzer and fluttered past Ryan Miller at the 11:43 mark.
The Sabres had a chance to pull even on a later man advantage, but couldn't convert with Stephen Weiss serving time for a tripping penalty.
Daniel Alfredsson, back in the lineup after a five-game absence due to a groin injury, scored an empty-netter with 49 seconds left to seal just the second win in the last 10 games for Detroit.
The Red Wings were without forward Pavel Datsyuk, who didn't make the trip to Buffalo because of a possible concussion.
Jonas Gustavsson denied Steve Ott on a penalty shot in the second period, one of 21 saves by the Detroit goaltender.
"So far I think the guys have been helping me a lot," Gustavsson said. "That's what you need as a goalie. You need the guys to help you and sometimes you want to help them too."
Miller stopped 31 shots in Buffalo's fourth straight loss.
"You can't just be satisfied with a little glimmer of what we feel is the right way to play," Miller said. "We have to not let teams back in the game."
The Sabres grabbed a 1-0 lead on a first-period tally by Cody Hodgson. Drew Stafford picked off a pass in the Detroit zone and dished down low to Hodgson, who stickhandled around a prone Gustavsson and tucked the puck around the right post at the 7:47 mark.
Darren Helm tied the game by scoring in his third consecutive game. He spun around in the slot and whipped a backhander while falling down behind Miller 30 seconds into the second period.
Henrik Zetterberg recorded his 700th career point with the primary assist on Franzen's goal ... The Red Wings have won 11 of the last 13 meetings.
- DETROIT: 3
Nov 24 7:35 PM
- Detroit Empty Net Goal - Daniel Alfredsson, from Johan Franzen at 19:11.
Red Wings 3, Sabres 1 3rd - 0:49Nov 24 7:32 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Johan Franzen (6), at 11:42.
Red Wings 2, Sabres 1 3rd - 8:18Nov 24 7:16 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 24 6:39 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm (5), at :30.
Red Wings 1, Sabres 1 2nd - 19:30Nov 24 6:04 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Nov 24 5:44 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Cody Hodgson, from Drew Stafford at 7:47.
Red Wings 0, Sabres 1 1st - 12:13Nov 24 5:22 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 24 5:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25