Sabres top Leafs in overtimeNov 30, 2013 - 5:10 AM
Luke Adam tallied late in the second period to draw Buffalo even at 2-2, and Ryan Miller kept it tied by coming up with 10 saves in the third before Ehrhoff got a long wrist shot past James Reimer through traffic early in the extra session.
Matt Moulson also scored for the Sabres, with Ville Leino and Tyler Myers each contributing a pair of assists. Miller finished with 22 saves overall.
"I thought tonight we had a pretty solid night and also scored some goals," said Buffalo forward Drew Stafford. "You're not going to win a lot of games 1-0."
Phil Kessel and Nikolai Kulemin had the goals for Toronto, which fell to 0-1-2 over its last three outings, while Reimer turned aside 26 shots in defeat.
The Sabres were staring at a one-goal deficit heading into the second intermission, but Adam gave the struggling club some momentum heading into the break by one-timing a puck sent into the slot by Zemgus Girgensons into an open right side 1:10 prior to the stoppage.
Both goaltenders were sharp in the third period to bring about overtime, with Reimer helping the Maple Leafs kill off a holding call on Paul Ranger with 1:32 remaining in regulation.
Toronto's James van Riemsdyk had a breakaway with Ranger in the box, but the Sabres' Matt D'Agostini was able to prevent a shot with a diving backcheck with under 30 seconds to go.
"Usually when you're in all alone and you get your legs taken out from under you, you expect something, especially when the calls have been what they were," said van Riemsdyk of the play. "We can't use officiating as an excuse. We've got to find ways to be better."
Ranger's penalty carried over into OT and a mere 10 seconds after it expired, Ehrhoff used the Maple Leafs' Carl Gunnarsson as a screen and fired a drive that made its way through with D'Agostini creating a distraction in front.
"It wasn't a big blast," said Ehrhoff. "It just found a little lane there and put it through Gunnarsson's legs and Reimer didn't see it."
Kessel gave the Leafs the early upper hand by skating up the left side and sneaking a shot through Miller's pads just 2:12 in. Buffalo tied it less than six minutes later while on a power play, with Moulson knocking home a centering feed from Leino with Reimer out of position.
Toronto regained the lead with 9:37 left in the second period. Tyler Smith sent a pass from behind the Buffalo net while falling down to Kulemin, who lifted the puck over Miller's shoulder from in close.
Two of the Sabres' six victories have come against Toronto, which dropped a 3-1 decision at First Niagara Center on Nov. 15 ... D'Agostini was skating in his first game with the Sabres after being acquired off waivers from Pittsburgh on Wednesday ... Buffalo improved to 13-1-1 in its last 15 home games against the Leafs ... Kessel's goal was the 199th of his career.
- TORONTO: 2
Final - OT
Nov 29 10:14 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Christian Ehrhoff (2), from Tyler Myers at :35.
Maple Leafs 2, Sabres 3 OT - 4:25Nov 29 10:14 PM
- TORONTO: 2
End of Regulation
Nov 29 10:10 PM
- TORONTO: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 29 9:11 PM
- Tyler Myers backhand shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 2, Sabres 2 2nd - 0:54Nov 29 9:08 PM
- Zemgus Girgensons tip-in shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 2, Sabres 1 2nd - 1:11Nov 29 9:07 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Luke Adam, from Zemgus Girgensons at 18:50.
Maple Leafs 2, Sabres 2 2nd - 1:10Nov 29 9:07 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nikolai Kulemin (2), at 10:23.
Maple Leafs 2, Sabres 1 2nd - 9:37Nov 29 8:47 PM
- Phil Kessel shot blocked by Henrik Tallinder.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 1 2nd - 10:38Nov 29 8:46 PM
- Tyler Myers slap shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 0 2nd - 12:06Nov 29 8:43 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Matt Moulson (10), at 7:57.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 1 2nd - 12:03Nov 29 8:42 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 1st
Nov 29 8:11 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel (14), at 2:12.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 0 1st - 17:48Nov 29 7:41 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 29 7:37 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13