Bjugstad helps Panthers edge SabresJan 22, 2014 - 6:08 AM
Jesse Winchester, Sean Bergenheim and Ed Jovanovski all scored first period goals for Florida, winners in two straight. Tim Thomas made 32 saves to earn the win.
"It was good to get this win, good for the whole team," said Thomas. "Back-to- back wins are what we need right now and it gives some of the young guys here some confidence in what they're doing."
Drew Stafford potted a pair of goals and assisted on Steve Ott's third period marker in Buffalo's fourth straight defeat. Ryan Miller allowed all four goals on 22 shots.
"We need to really start to go back to the drawing board because there's not much else to say," said Stafford. "We need to clean a few things up and make sure we come out to a good start and if we do, bear down in our own end."
With a 3-2 lead late in the second period, Bjugstad received a feed from Brian Campbell skating down the left wing and ripped a shot that beat Miller off the post for a 4-2 advantage.
The Panthers held their two-goal advantage until 8:36 of the third, when Ott jammed home Stafford's rebound to make it 4-3.
Thomas stood tall after that, denying the Sabres the rest of the way.
Most of the scoring took place in the opening 20 minutes.
Stafford's power-play goal just 2:23 into the action gave the home team an early 1-0 edge, but Florida tied it less than two minutes later when Winchester deflected home a Jovanovski blast from the point.
Stafford lit the lamp for a second time with a wrister over Miller's blocker after Mike Weber leveled a Florida defender to force a turnover in front of the net for a 2-1 lead at 6:16.
The Panthers scored a pair of goals within 52 seconds, however, to take their first lead when Bergenheim and Jovanovski scored during the 18-minute mark.
Tom Gilbert had two assists for Florida ... Thomas improved to 13-13-3 on the season ... Panthers rookie center Aleksander Barkov left the game with a lower-body injury and did not return .. The Panthers look to make it three straight wins when they host Colorado on Friday.
- FLORIDA: 4
Jan 21 9:34 PM
- FLORIDA: 4
3rd Period - 11:24
Panthers 4, Sabres 3 3rd - 11:24Jan 21 9:14 PM
- FLORIDA: 4
End of 2nd
Jan 21 8:44 PM
- Florida Goal - Nick Bjugstad (11), at 16:12.
Panthers 4, Sabres 2 2nd - 3:48Jan 21 8:37 PM
- FLORIDA: 3
End of 1st
Jan 21 7:47 PM
- Florida Goal - Ed Jovanovski, at 18:56.
Panthers 3, Sabres 2 1st - 1:04Jan 21 7:45 PM
- Florida Goal - Sean Bergenheim (11), from Tom Gilbert and Aleksander Barkov at 18:04.
Panthers 2, Sabres 2 1st - 1:56Jan 21 7:43 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Drew Stafford (7), at 6:16.
Panthers 1, Sabres 2 1st - 13:44Jan 21 7:21 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
1st Period - 15:54
Panthers 1, Sabres 1 1st - 15:54Jan 21 7:15 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Drew Stafford (6), at 2:23.
Panthers 0, Sabres 1 1st - 17:37Jan 21 7:12 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 21 7:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25