Sabres snap Blue Jackets' 8-game winning streakJan 26, 2014 - 3:06 AM
Marcus Foligno scored Buffalo's other shorthanded marker, while Steve Ott, Matt Ellis and Cody Hodgson also lit the lamp for the Sabres, who scored at least three goals for the sixth straight game, despite going 0-3-2 over the previous five tilts.
Ryan Miller made 36 saves to backstop the victory.
"Millsy (Miller) held us in there when we needed to," Hodgson said. "I think we did a good job of shutting a lot of things down too."
Columbus hadn't lost since Jan. 4 at St. Louis, but saw starting goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky allow three goals on 10 shots before being removed early in the second period.
Curtis McElhinney entered and stopped 10-of-11 shots in relief, while Derek MacKenzie and Mark Letestu tallied a goal and an assist apiece for the Blue Jackets, who had won the first two meetings with Buffalo this season.
"We could have done a better job of getting some traffic in front of Miller," Letestu said. "He saw a lot of pucks. We have to make it a little more difficult on him."
With the score tied 1-1 late in the first period, Buffalo's Tyler Ennis went off for elbowing at 18:15, but Bobrovsky botched a clearing attempt in front of his own net and the puck trickled to the left point, where Ehrhoff ripped a heavy slapper that sailed past Bobrovsky's glove for a 2-1 lead with 29.5 seconds left on the clock.
Foligno followed with a shorthanded goal of his own early in the second to increase the lead, as he charged down the right wing and cut into the slot before sneaking a wrister under the glove of Bobrovsky at 3:28.
McElhinney took over between the pipes and held Buffalo off the board until early in the third, when Ott pounded home a rebound for a 4-1 lead at 3:51.
Letestu lifted a rebound over Miller's glove from the low left side at 5:21 to bring Columbus within two, but Hodgson found the empty net with just under two minutes left to seal the outcome.
Early on, Ellis opened the scoring with a backhander from the blueline that slipped past Bobrovsky at 2:21, but MacKenzie countered with his fourth of the season at 12:53 to even the score.
Buffalo registered two shorthanded goals in a game for the first time since Mar. 30, 2007 against the Islanders ... With his goal, Ehrhoff became the 25th active NHL defenseman to record 300 career points ... Buffalo's Ville Leino and Drew Stafford both left the game with upper-body injuries ... Columbus had scored four or more goals in four straight games and had won five in a row at home ... Columbus went 0-for-4 on the power play.
- BUFFALO: 5
Jan 25 9:34 PM
- Buffalo Empty Net Goal - Cody Hodgson (12), at 18:09.
Sabres 5, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 1:51Jan 25 9:29 PM
- Columbus Goal - Mark Letestu (7), from Derek MacKenzie and Corey Tropp at 5:21.
Sabres 4, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 14:39Jan 25 9:03 PM
- Fedor Tyutin slap shot is wide.
Sabres 4, Blue Jackets 1 3rd - 15:32Jan 25 9:01 PM
- BUFFALO: 3
3rd Period - 16:09
Sabres 3, Blue Jackets 1 3rd - 16:09Jan 25 9:01 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Steve Ott (7), from Cody Hodgson at 3:51.
Sabres 4, Blue Jackets 1 3rd - 16:09Jan 25 9:00 PM
- BUFFALO: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 25 8:36 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Marcus Foligno (6), at 3:28.
Sabres 3, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 16:32Jan 25 8:07 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
End of 1st
Jan 25 7:44 PM
- Buffalo Short-Handed Goal - Christian Ehrhoff (3), at 19:30.
Sabres 2, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 0:30Jan 25 7:43 PM
- Columbus Goal - Derek MacKenzie (4), at 12:53.
Sabres 1, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 7:07Jan 25 7:29 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
1st Period - 17:39
Sabres 1, Blue Jackets 0 1st - 17:39Jan 25 7:12 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 25 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Ducks, Preds hope to get rolling early in first-round series Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12