Penguins reach 40 wins with rout of SabresFeb 6, 2014 - 7:17 AM
James Neal, Brian Gibbons and Harry Zolnierczyk had the other goals for Pittsburgh, which registered win No. 40 in its 57th game. The previous low was 65 games in 1995-96.
"We took a little bit of time to get going, but once we did, I felt like we did grab a lot of momentum there," Crosby said.
Marc-Andre Fleury made 24 saves to earn his league-best 31st win of the season.
Ryan Miller surrendered five goals on 34 shots in the Sabres' third straight loss.
"That had nothing to do with Ryan tonight," Sabres head coach Ted Nolan said. "It was the guys in front of him."
Crosby snapped a five-game goal drought and broke a 1-1 tie on an early second-period power play. He skated through two players in the Buffalo zone and beat Miller top shelf at the 2:08 mark.
Malkin made it 3-1 on a breakaway with 2:12 left in the middle frame. He chipped the puck ahead in the neutral zone, powered his way past Buffalo defenseman Jamie McBain, deking and beat Miller on the forehand.
Gibbons scored on a wrister after a clean faceoff win by Brandon Sutter at 5:22 of the third period. Neal lit the lamp with 7:48 remaining.
Buffalo opened the scoring for only the 18th time this season. Fleury stopped a wraparound bid by Tyler Ennis, but Drew Stafford put the loose puck home 5:58 into the contest.
Zolnierczyk knotted the score off a feed from Craig Adams with 4:59 to go in the first period.
Crosby now has a 17-game point streak against the Sabres and has at least one point in all 14 of his career visits to Buffalo ... The Sabres suffered their eighth straight home loss ... Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang (illness) missed a fourth consecutive game ... Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers sat out with a lower-body injury.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
Feb 5 10:02 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - James Neal (19), at 12:12.
Penguins 5, Sabres 1 3rd - 7:48Feb 5 9:50 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 4
3rd Period - 14:38
Penguins 4, Sabres 1 3rd - 14:38Feb 5 9:41 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 5 9:15 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Evgeni Malkin (17), at 17:48.
Penguins 3, Sabres 1 2nd - 2:12Feb 5 9:09 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Sidney Crosby (28), from Matt Niskanen at 2:07.
Penguins 2, Sabres 1 2nd - 17:53Feb 5 8:43 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
End of 1st
Feb 5 8:21 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Harry Zolnierczyk (2), at 15:01.
Penguins 1, Sabres 1 1st - 4:59Feb 5 8:11 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Drew Stafford (9), at 5:58.
Penguins 0, Sabres 1 1st - 14:02Feb 5 7:53 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 5 7:43 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17