Sabres take down LightningMar 7, 2014 - 6:49 AM
Marcus Foligno, Tyler Myers, and Cody Hodgson each registered a goal and an assist for the Sabres, who have won four out of five games since the Olympic break.
"When we get good goaltending, we have a chance to win," Buffalo interim head coach Ted Nolan said.
The Lightning could not get much going offensively, even with Stamkos and Callahan in the lineup. Tyler Johnson supplied a late shorthanded goal for the Lightning, who have dropped three straight. Anders Lindback allowed all three goals on 21 shots in his first game since Jan. 30.
Stamkos, the Lightning's newly-named captain, returned to the ice for the first time since Nov. 11 after missing 45 games with a broken right tibia. Callahan came to Tampa Bay in a blockbuster trade that shipped Martin St. Louis to the Rangers hours before Wednesday's trade deadline.
"For the most part I felt good," Stamkos said. "It's a step in the right direction. You can feel it a little out there as the play progresses."
Myers opened the scoring with 4:04 remaining in the first. The defenseman intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and after faking a shot, he moved in on net fired a wrister past Lindback.
The Sabres took a 2-0 lead near the halfway point of the second after Myers worked the puck to the front of the net from down low and Foligno backhanded the puck in.
Hodgson added to the lead when Foligno caught up to a loose puck on a 2-on-1 and dove to push the puck over to Hodgson in the slot. He took the puck and wristed a shot that trickled through the pads of Lindback with 6:16 to play in the final frame.
Tampa Bay avoided being shut out after Johnson's wrister sneaked past a screened Enroth with 2:29 remaining.
Zemgus Girgensons did not return for the third period after suffering a lower- body injury ... Buffalo is now 6-0-2 this season when leading after two periods ... Johnson has scored in all three games against Buffalo this season.
- BUFFALO: 3
TAMPA BAY: 1
Mar 6 10:07 PM
- Tampa Bay Short-Handed Goal - Tyler Johnson (19), from Victor Hedman at 17:31.
Sabres 3, Lightning 1 3rd - 2:29Mar 6 10:02 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Cody Hodgson (16), at 13:44.
Sabres 3, Lightning 0 3rd - 6:16Mar 6 9:54 PM
- BUFFALO: 2
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 6 9:09 PM
- Tyler Johnson wrist shot on Jhonas Enroth.
Sabres 2, Lightning 0 2nd - 10:00Mar 6 8:50 PM
- Cody Hodgson wrist shot on Anders Lindback.
Sabres 1, Lightning 0 2nd - 10:37Mar 6 8:48 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Marcus Foligno, at 9:25.
Sabres 2, Lightning 0 2nd - 10:35Mar 6 8:48 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 6 8:12 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Tyler Myers (9), at 15:56.
Sabres 1, Lightning 0 1st - 4:04Mar 6 8:04 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 6 7:39 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17