Seguin, Benn lead Stars past FlamesNov 15, 2013 - 8:19 AM
"I think we both wanted to make a statement," Seguin said.
Benn scored once and assisted on five other goals to become the first Stars player since Mike Modano in 1995 to notch six points in a single game. Seguin came close to matching his linemate, adding an assist to help the resurgent Stars to a fifth straight victory on the road and fifth triumph in their last six outings overall.
Alex Goligoski registered three assists for Dallas, which also received goals from Stephane Robidas and Ryan Garbutt along with 25 saves from Kari Lehtonen.
The Flames were dealt a fifth consecutive defeat despite a two-goal effort from Matt Stajan, one of which came shorthanded. David Jones had a goal and one assist in a losing cause.
"We need to get back to our game and get back to our game quick," Flames head coach Bob Hartley said.
Calgary goaltender Reto Berra stopped just 13-of-17 shots before being lifted in favor of Karri Ramo in the second period. Ramo allowed three goals on 15 chances in relief.
Robidas scored the only goal of a quiet first period, one-timing a Brenden Dillon feed through traffic 6:27 into the contest.
From then on, it was the Seguin and Benn show.
Benn sent the puck towards the net early in the second period, with Seguin following up a shot that was initially stopped by Berra while stationed in front for a 2-0 advantage with just 1:19 elapsed in the frame.
Just over three minutes later, Benn split the Calgary defense to take in a pinpoint pass from Seguin and slide the puck past Berra while falling down to make it a three-goal lead.
With the Stars on a 3-on-2 rush later in the session, Seguin connected on a cross-ice give from Benn to end Berra's evening after just 26:32 of action.
Garbutt got into the act before the second period came to a close. Left all alone on the right side with the Flames in transtion, the wing beat Ramo on an easy 1-on-1 situation after corralling a pass from Antoine Roussel to put Calgary in a 5-0 hole.
Stajan finally got the Flames on the board just under five minutes prior to the second intermission, ripping a blast from the left circle that beat Lehtonen to the glove side.
Seguin and Benn didn't cool down following the break. Just 30 seconds into the third period, the latter found Segin for a succcessful one-timer while camped out to the left of the Calgary net to complete the young sniper's second career hat trick.
Jones crashed the net to re-direct a Kris Russell drive with the Flames on a power play at the 4:46 mark of the final stanza, and Stajan cut the deficit to 6-3 by stealing the puck behind the Dallas net while shorthanded and converting a second-chance wraparound try with 7:44 to go.
Seguin's fourth goal came with 3:39 left and Dallas skating on a 5-on-4 situation. After first forcing a turnover in the Calgary zone, he got the puck soon afterward and put in a wrister up top to complete the scoring.
Seguin's only other hat trick was a three-goal performance at Toronto while with Boston on Nov. 5, 2011. He has now scored in three straight games ... Modano had two goals and four assists in a 9-2 Stars win over Anaheim on Feb. 1, 1995 ... The Flames have been outscored by a 7-1 margin in the first period during their five-game skid ... Benn had a pair of goals in a 5-1 Dallas victory over Calgary on Oct. 24.
- DALLAS: 7
Nov 14 11:44 PM
- Dallas Power-Play Goal - Tyler Seguin (12), from Jamie Benn at 16:21.
Stars 7, Flames 3 3rd - 3:39Nov 14 11:32 PM
- Matt Stajan wrist shot on Kari Lehtonen.
Stars 6, Flames 3 3rd - 7:44Nov 14 11:23 PM
- Calgary Goal - David Jones (4), from Kris Russell and Sven Baertschi at 4:46.
Stars 6, Flames 2 3rd - 15:14Nov 14 11:12 PM
- Dallas Goal - Tyler Seguin (11), at :30.
Stars 6, Flames 1 3rd - 19:30Nov 14 11:02 PM
- DALLAS: 5
End of 2nd
Nov 14 10:42 PM
- Calgary Goal - Matt Stajan, at 15:01.
Stars 5, Flames 1 2nd - 4:59Nov 14 10:31 PM
- Dallas Goal - Ryan Garbutt, from Antoine Roussel at 11:56.
Stars 5, Flames 0 2nd - 8:04Nov 14 10:25 PM
- Dallas Goal - Tyler Seguin (10), at 8:32.
Stars 4, Flames 0 2nd - 11:28Nov 14 10:18 PM
- Dallas Goal - Jamie Benn (7), at 4:22.
Stars 3, Flames 0 2nd - 15:38Nov 14 10:11 PM
- Dallas Goal - Tyler Seguin (9), at 1:19.
Stars 2, Flames 0 2nd - 18:41Nov 14 10:07 PM
- DALLAS: 1
End of 1st
Nov 14 9:46 PM
- Mike Cammalleri deflected shot is wide.
Stars 1, Flames 0 1st - 13:01Nov 14 9:19 PM
- Stephane Robidas slap shot on Reto Berra.
Stars 0, Flames 0 1st - 13:33Nov 14 9:18 PM
- Dallas Goal - Stephane Robidas (2), at 6:27.
Stars 1, Flames 0 1st - 13:33Nov 14 9:18 PM
- DALLAS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 14 9:08 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Calf sidelines Stars' Seguin in playoffs after Achilles cut May 13
- Stars future with 2 top scorers, need decision on 2 goalies May 12
- Brouwer experience key to Blues' playoff run May 12
- Brouwer experience key to Blues' playoff run May 12
- Blue bloods: Hitch, St. Louis relish chance to keep playing May 12
- Blues advance to Western finals with 6-1 win over Stars May 12
- Blues go with goalie Brian Elliott as starter for Game 7 May 11
- Blues-Stars Preview May 10
- Home ice may not be advantage for Stars in Game 7 vs Blues May 10