Blues blank FlamesJan 10, 2014 - 6:59 AM
Vladimir Sobotka and Vladimir Tarasenko each had a goal and an assist, while Chris Stewart, Alex Pietrangelo, and Ian Cole all scored for the Blues, who have won a season-high seven straight.
"It's nice to string a couple together here," said St. Louis center David Backes said. "It seems like you have to to stay paced with some of these other teams in the West."
Karri Ramo was tagged for all five goals on 29 shots for the Flames, who have lost six of seven and were shut out for a fifth game during that time.
"If we look at the past weeks there are some games that we got shutout and we deserved to be shut out," said Calgary head coach Bob Hartley. "But this is kind of a lingering effect on us and tonight I felt like we had quite a few scoring chances. Grade A scoring chances between the hash marks and we even fanned on some shots. So right now the net is awfully small for us. That's the result of not scoring."
St. Louis got on the board halfway through the first period, as Derek Roy made a move to get past the defender in the deep left boards then sent the puck to Stewart, who one-timed it from the left circle for his 15th of the year.
Just over two minutes later, the Blues made it a 2-0 game as Sobotka skated in down the right point and let fly with a wrister that beat Ramo cleanly.
It was a 3-0 game at 6:47 of the second as Tarasenko sent a pass from the right circle to the left where Cole wristed it in for his second of the year.
The Blues scored a pair of power-play goals in the third to turn the game into a rout.
Kevin Shattenkirk's slap shot from the left point tipped off of Pietrangelo's stick in front at 1:16, and Tarasenko scored on a one-timer from the right circle at 3:32.
St. Louis, which is 7-0-2 in its last nine road games, plays in Vancouver on Friday ... Calgary has scored just five goals in its past seven games, four of which came in a win against Colorado on Monday ... The Flames host the Penguins on Saturday ... Halak has 28 shutouts in his career.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
Jan 9 11:34 PM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - Jay Bouwmeester (4), at 3:32.
Blues 5, Flames 0 3rd - 16:28Jan 9 11:06 PM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - Alex Pietrangelo (6), at 1:16.
Blues 4, Flames 0 3rd - 18:44Jan 9 11:01 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 9 10:41 PM
- St Louis Goal - Ian Cole (2), at 6:47.
Blues 3, Flames 0 2nd - 13:13Jan 9 10:16 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 2
End of 1st
Jan 9 9:45 PM
- St Louis Goal - Vladimir Sobotka, at 11:37.
Blues 2, Flames 0 1st - 8:23Jan 9 9:28 PM
- St Louis Goal - Chris Stewart (15), from Derek Roy and Brenden Morrow at 9:32.
Blues 1, Flames 0 1st - 10:28Jan 9 9:26 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 9 9:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18