Weiss' OT goal lifts Red Wings past HurricanesOct 5, 2013 - 6:41 AM
Weiss, who signed with Detroit this offseason after 10 years with the Florida Panthers, skated in uncontested and tapped a rebound past Cam Ward at the 3:13 mark of the extra session to lift the Wings to their second win in as many games to begin the season.
"That was a big win, it was a good character win and a good comeback by all the boys in here," said Weiss. "We're happy to get the two points."
Ward was terrific for most of the contest, keeping Detroit off the scoreboard through the first two periods. The net-minder turned away 35 of 38 shots, but Carolina surrendered a 2-1 lead in the final moments of the third period when Henrik Zetterberg beat Ward to knot the score and force overtime.
Justin Abdelkader also scored for Detroit behind Jimmy Howard, who had 23 saves in the win.
Radek Dvorak and Nathan Gerbe notched goals for the Hurricanes while Justin Faulk registered a pair of assists.
Dvorak opened the scoring thanks to a brilliant assist by Jeff Skinner, who received the puck from Faulk near the blue line and passed ahead for a streaking Dvorak. The puck slid just past Kyle Quincy's outstretched stick and the 17-year veteran took advantage, poking the disc past Howard.
Late in the second period and less than a minute after Pavel Datsyuk nearly netted the equalizer for Detroit, Carolina pushed the other way and Gerbe scored his first goal of the season for a 2-0 edge. Datsyuk came up with the loose puck and sprinted towards goal short-handed, but Ward was up to the task, turning away the shot.
The Hurricanes then countered. Faulk floated a shot towards Howard, which deflected off Jay Harrison before landing on Gerbe's stick. Uncontested in front of Howard, Gerbe calmly gathered the puck and buried it in the back of the net.
Detroit cut its deficit to 2-1 42 seconds in to the third period when Abdelkader's wrist-shot beat Ward.
Ward turned away shot after shot during a furious Detroit rally late in the action with Howard on the bench. Zetterberg fired off a number of shots around attempts by Datsyuk and Daniel Alfredsson before Zetterberg's rebound with 17 seconds left finally beat Ward for the game-tying goal.
Zetterberg had a game-high 10 shots, as Detroit out-shot Carolina, 38-25 ... The Red Wings went 0-for-3 on power plays ... Howard stopped the final 14 shots he faced ... Dvorak made his Hurricanes' debut after registering 581 points in 1200 games for seven different franchises prior to this season.
- DETROIT: 3
Final - OT
Oct 4 9:33 PM
- Detroit Goal - Stephen Weiss, from Johan Franzen and Niklas Kronwall at 3:13.
Red Wings 3, Hurricanes 2 OT - 1:47Oct 4 9:33 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of Regulation
Oct 4 9:27 PM
- Detroit Goal - Henrik Zetterberg, at 19:43.
Red Wings 2, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 0:17Oct 4 9:26 PM
- Detroit Goal - Justin Abdelkader, from Henrik Zetterberg and Jonathan Ericsson at :42.
Red Wings 1, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 19:18Oct 4 8:53 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 2nd
Oct 4 8:34 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Nathan Gerbe, at 18:11.
Red Wings 0, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 1:49Oct 4 8:32 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Oct 4 7:43 PM
- Carolina Goal - Radek Dvorak, at 13:30.
Red Wings 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 6:30Oct 4 7:32 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 17:35
Oct 4 7:12 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22