Jokinen's trifecta sends Pens past HurricanesOct 9, 2013 - 5:04 AM Pittsburgh, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - Jussi Jokinen posted his second career hat trick as the Pittsburgh Penguins took a 5-2 win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday.
Paul Martin and Tanner Glass each lit the lamp for the Penguins, who have won all three of their games this season. Marc-Andre Fleury posted 32 saves to pick up the win.
"That's a great organization over there and I don't harbor any bad feeling about them," said Jokinen, who was traded to Pittsburgh from Carolina last April. "It's hockey and things aren't always fair."
Eric Staal and Nathan Gerbe both scored for the Hurricanes, who were coming off a 2-1 win over Philadelphia on Sunday. Cam Ward was tagged for all five goals on 36 shots in the loss.
"He's an opportunistic player who can score and produce when he's in the right spots," said Staal about Jokinen. "He showed that tonight and really had a great game."
Pittsburgh had blown a two-goal lead early in the third, but Jokinen gave his team the lead back at 5:03 when he took a feed from Evgeni Malkin at the left circle and snapped it home.
Glass made it a 4-2 game just over three minutes later as he jumped on a loose puck after a left circle faceoff and fired it home.
Jokinen capped the hat trick with a snap shot from the slot that beat Ward to the right corner for a power-play goal with 6:57 to play.
Jokinen's first goal came off a broken play as Sidney Crosby's pass from the right circle to the slot was broken up, but Jokinen was able to kick it to his stick and put it in at 14:17 of the first on the power play.
Pittsburgh had a goal overturned later in the first, but made it a 2-0 game 1:04 into the second as Brooks Orpik's shot from the left point went wide, but it bounced out to the right side and Martin tapped it in.
Carolina made it a one-goal game at 13:24 of the second as Justin Faulk blasted a shot from the right point that a falling Staal was able to redirect past Fleury.
At 3:13 of the third, the Hurricanes tied the game as Gerbe scored on a rebound of a Patrick Dwyer chance.
Carolina plays in Washington on Thursday ... The Penguins play their first road game of the season in Florida on Friday ... Pittsburgh has won six of the last seven games against Carolina ... Pittsburgh went 2-for-3 on the power play while Carolina was 0-for-2.
- CAROLINA: 2
Oct 8 9:42 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Jussi Jokinen (3), at 13:03.
Hurricanes 2, Penguins 5 3rd - 6:57Oct 8 9:27 PM
- Jordan Staal wrist shot on Marc-Andre Fleury.
Hurricanes 2, Penguins 4 3rd - 8:03Oct 8 9:26 PM
- Pascal Dupuis wrist shot is wide.
Hurricanes 2, Penguins 3 3rd - 11:44Oct 8 9:25 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Tanner Glass, from Joe Vitale at 8:24.
Hurricanes 2, Penguins 4 3rd - 11:36Oct 8 9:18 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jussi Jokinen (2), at 5:03.
Hurricanes 2, Penguins 3 3rd - 14:57Oct 8 9:10 PM
- Carolina Goal - Nathan Gerbe (2), at 3:13.
Hurricanes 2, Penguins 2 3rd - 16:47Oct 8 9:07 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 8 8:44 PM
- Carolina Goal - Eric Staal, at 13:24.
Hurricanes 1, Penguins 2 2nd - 6:36Oct 8 8:31 PM
- Jeff Skinner wrist shot is wide.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 2 2nd - 18:18Oct 8 8:09 PM
- Paul Martin shot on Cam Ward.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 1 2nd - 18:56Oct 8 8:08 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Paul Martin, at 1:04.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 2 2nd - 18:56Oct 8 8:08 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 1st
Oct 8 7:47 PM
- Joe Vitale shot on Cam Ward.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 1 1st - 3:05Oct 8 7:41 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Pascal Dupuis, at 16:41.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 2 1st - 3:19Oct 8 7:37 PM
- Robert Bortuzzo snap shot on Cam Ward.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 1 1st - 5:28Oct 8 7:35 PM
- Jordan Staal shot blocked by Evgeni Malkin.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 0 1st - 5:51Oct 8 7:33 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Jussi Jokinen, at 14:17.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 1 1st - 5:43Oct 8 7:33 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 8 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17