Klinkhammer carries Coyotes over HurricanesOct 14, 2013 - 12:43 AM
Shane Doan had a goal and an assist while Lauri Korpikoski and Mikkel Boedker also scored for the Coyotes, who have won three straight. Mike Smith stopped 31-of-34 shots in the win.
Eric Staal, Riley Nash and Jeff Skinner lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who have dropped three of four.
"A few guys came ready to play and battle, but we had too many passengers tonight," Carolina head coach Kirk Muller said. "We had some top guys that just didn't bring their 'A' game today."
Anton Khudobin started the game in net, but left in the second period with a lower-body injury. He gave up two goals on 20 shots while his relief, Cam Ward, allowed three goals on 12 shots.
Early in the third with the score tied, Klinkhammer gained control of the puck in his own end and raced down the right wing, beating Ward with a shot to the short side just 22 seconds in.
"I just try to be reliable," Klinkhammer said. "I don't do anything fancy."
Doan scored a power-play marker at 7:11 when he put home a rebound of a Radim Vrbata shot from the left side.
Smith stopped 11 shots in the third to secure the win.
Phoenix's first goal came on the power play when Boedker snapped home a rebound from in front at 4:59 of the first, but Staal tied the game at 15:07 of the first period when a bad wraparound from Phoenix inside its zone saw the puck bounce out front and Staal backhand home the gift.
Nash deflected in a Ryan Murphy shot 7:11 into the second to give Carolina a 2-1 lead, but Klinkhammer scored his first of the game during a scrum in front just 1:23 later to tie the game.
Korpikoski scored on a snap shot at 15:58 of the third, while Skinner's power- play goal in the final minute of the second sent the game into the final frame tied at 3-3.
Dave Tippett coached in his 300th game with the Coyotes ... Phoenix hosts Ottawa on Tuesday ... Carolina hosts Chicago on Tuesday ... The Coyotes have won three of the last four games against the Hurricanes ... Phoenix was 2- for-5 on the power play, while Carolina was just 1-for-9 on the man advantage over close to 10 minutes.
- PHOENIX: 5
Oct 13 3:49 PM
- Jiri Tlusty shot blocked by Zbynek Michalek.
Coyotes 5, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 12:36Oct 13 3:23 PM
- Shane Doan backhand shot on Cam Ward.
Coyotes 4, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 13:02Oct 13 3:21 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Shane Doan, at 7:11.
Coyotes 5, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 12:49Oct 13 3:21 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Rob Klinkhammer, at :22.
Coyotes 4, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 19:38Oct 13 3:09 PM
- PHOENIX: 3
End of 2nd
Oct 13 2:49 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Jeff Skinner (2), at 19:03.
Coyotes 3, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 0:57Oct 13 2:45 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Lauri Korpikoski, from Mike Ribeiro and David Moss at 15:58.
Coyotes 3, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 4:02Oct 13 2:40 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Rob Klinkhammer, at 8:34.
Coyotes 2, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 11:26Oct 13 2:20 PM
- Carolina Goal - Riley Nash, from Ryan Murphy at 7:11.
Coyotes 1, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 12:49Oct 13 2:17 PM
- PHOENIX: 1
End of 1st
Oct 13 1:48 PM
- Carolina Goal - Eric Staal (2), at 15:07.
Coyotes 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 4:53Oct 13 1:38 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Mikkel Boedker (2), at 4:59.
Coyotes 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 15:01Oct 13 1:16 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 13 1:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19
- Coyotes to buy Springfield Falcons, move AHL club to Tucson Apr 19
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12