Megna helps Pens skate past HurricanesOct 29, 2013 - 3:24 AM
He got his first assist, too.
Megna, playing his second game, was credited with a goal after Sidney Crosby's shot went in off his skate and the Pittsburgh Penguins snapped their longest losing streak in almost two years Monday with a 3-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.
Crosby had two assists and a hand in all three Pittsburgh goals. His shot from the slot in the third period deflected off Megna to give the Penguins their 3-1 lead.
"I think he'll remember it (as) top-shelf a couple years from now," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma deadpanned.
Megna who was called up from the AHL last Thursday and made his debut in Friday's loss to the Islanders, assisted on Tanner Glass' first-period goal after driving to the net and getting off a shot.
Chris Kunitz also scored and Brooks Orpik had three assists for the Penguins, who snapped a three-game losing streak -- their longest since a six-game slide from Dec. 29, 2011-Jan. 11, 2012.
Marc-Andre Fleury faced few shots early on and made 20 saves as Pittsburgh (8-4-0) beat Carolina for the seventh time in their last eight meetings.
Nathan Gerbe had a power-play goal for the Hurricanes (4-5-3), who have lost three in a row.
"We're not giving up much, but when we do, like tonight, the good players capitalize on us," Carolina head coach Kirk Muller remarked. "We need more from other people as well."
With Carolina's top two goaltenders -- Cam Ward and Anton Khudobin -- both on injured reserve with lower body injuries, Justin Peters allowed three goals on 29 shots.
The Penguins were without defenseman Rob Scuderi, who has a broken ankle and will need surgery, Bylsma said. Scuderi, who was injured Saturday, missed a game for the first time since the 2009-10 season.
"There is no timetable for his return," Bylsma said.
Crosby's neutral-zone faceoff win in the opening period led to Megna's shot, which produced a long rebound from Peters. Glass was on the left side to fire it in for a 1-0 lead 8:25 into the game.
Crosby and the Penguins controlled play, not allowing a Hurricanes shot in the first 12 minutes of the game.
But Brandon Sutter went off for tripping and Craig Adams was whistled for a slashing penalty 1:17 after that to give Carolina a 5-on-3, leading to Gerbe's goal from the slot late in the first on a one-timer off Elias Lindholm's pass from the low left side.
Crosby set up Kunitz with a seeing-eye pass to make it 2-1 late in the second. Kunitz had Hurricanes center Jordan Staal beat in the slot and Crosby threaded a pass to him from above the right circle.
Megna's goal came 7:11 into the third period.
It was the second of four meetings between the Metropolitan Division teams this season. Jussi Jokinen had a hat trick in Pittsburgh's 5-2 win over Carolina on Oct. 8.
Crosby has 20 points. He was leading the league entering Monday ... Carolina's only win against the Penguins since Nov. 12, 2011, came Feb. 28 last season ... Hurricanes center Brett Sutter received minor boarding penalty for hitting Adams from behind in the first period and a five-minute major for fighting Joe Vitale afterward ... The Penguins are home against Boston on Wednesday ... The Hurricanes are off until a home game Friday against Tampa Bay.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Oct 28 9:35 PM
- Pascal Dupuis shot blocked by Ryan Murphy.
Penguins 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 11:51Oct 28 9:15 PM
- Chris Kunitz snap shot on Justin Peters.
Penguins 2, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 13:17Oct 28 9:13 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jayson Megna, from Sidney Crosby and Brooks Orpik at 7:11.
Penguins 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 12:49Oct 28 9:12 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 28 8:43 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Chris Kunitz (5), from Sidney Crosby and Brooks Orpik at 16:24.
Penguins 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 3:36Oct 28 8:36 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
End of 1st
Oct 28 7:46 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Nathan Gerbe (4), at 16:03.
Penguins 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 3:57Oct 28 7:40 PM
- Sidney Crosby shot blocked by Elias Lindholm.
Penguins 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 11:10Oct 28 7:27 PM
- Jayson Megna wrist shot on Justin Peters.
Penguins 0, Hurricanes 0 1st - 11:37Oct 28 7:25 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Tanner Glass, at 8:25.
Penguins 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 11:35Oct 28 7:25 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 28 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17